Fermenters on the Cheap

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dan for $25.00 including shipping they look like a nice deal and the seller has 100% positive feedback. What I could not find was the size of them. Thanks for sharing!

"Used 8.98 Gallon (34Liters) Curtec Air tight Barrel with screw on Lid and water tight seal.
These are a Heavy Duty barrel made out of HDPE, not a cheap 'use it twice and in the garbage it will go'.
You will get many years out of these great barrels.
Drum is 17 3/4 inches high X 13 1/4 inches wide outside dimensions. The inside opening is 11 1/2 inches wide."

I'm thinking one could drill a hole for a grommit and pop in an airlock.

yea, I've done that before.

Iknow you don't need an airlock on a primary, but it puts me at ease having a visual on th e state of fermentation.
I've never had a problem with oxy starvation either, so as long as it keeps working as well as it does, I'll be doing it.

Id drill a bigger hole and use a bung, those grommets seem to leak to often.

I have a variety of sizes of that style barrel. They work fine for primaries, but the plastic lets too much air in for longer storage. I also put a bung in them with an airlock. The ones last year I got had molasses in them and were a bear to clean. Take time to research what they held previously.

The best ones I ever got were from this recycler.

Last edited:
I have a variety of sizes of that style barrel. They work fine for primaries, but the plastic lets too much air in for longer storage. I also put a bung in them with an airlock. The ones last year I got had molasses in them and were a bear to clean. Take time to research what they held previously.

The best ones I ever got were from this recycler.

"These barrels had 2 bags inside of them with whatever meds where in them, they pull the bags out and put the lid back on from there to a pallet then to a truck."

Latest posts

Back