fermenter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob

Reaction score
I will be harvesting grapes this week-end for the first time and will attempt to make wine, we have discussed using a brute garbage can for the fermenter, I am not sure how much juice I will be getting and wanting to know if I use a 32 gal. can and only fill it to 20 gal. will that be a big issue with the head space while it ferments for a week, also can I cover with cheese cloth, these are white grapes.

Head space isn't that big a deal for primary - you can use cheesecloth or a towel.

I will be harvesting grapes this week-end for the first time and will attempt to make wine, we have discussed using a brute garbage can for the fermenter, I am not sure how much juice I will be getting and wanting to know if I use a 32 gal. can and only fill it to 20 gal. will that be a big issue with the head space while it ferments for a week, also can I cover with cheese cloth, these are white grapes.

I have a 32-gal Brute for primary, and I've filled it beyond 20-gal without any problems (with muscadines).

Back