Fermenter sizing...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmd2k1

Reaction score
Is there a general rule of thumb for sizing a fermenter for batches? Ie) a typical % above the batch size...

For example.....if I want to do 12x 6gal kits....72gals of liquid....what's my sweet spot for vessel size? 80gals?

Cheers!

I've never done kits so no input on that.
However, I like to be prudent and believe in the "all your eggs in one basket" idiom. If a problem arose I'd rather have a bad small batch than a bad big batch.

Is there a general rule of thumb for sizing a fermenter for batches? Ie) a typical % above the batch size...

For example.....if I want to do 12x 6gal kits....72gals of liquid....what's my sweet spot for vessel size? 80gals?

Cheers!
I haven’t done kits but I would guess that’s way too small since some ferments can get very active and foamy. For a primary fermentation with fruit I want several inches of freeboard above the must.

For secondary fermentation and aging you want some mix of containers that match the volume as closely as possible to minimize topping-up volume.

i have fermenters from 7 gallon,14 gallon, 40 gallon, and 60 gallon drums, got top off carboys from 750 ml, pint, quart, half gallon, 1 gallon and 3 gallons, although, my drilled bungs are 6.5's, a few small universals, and a couple hundred odd drilled bungs, and a couple five different sized bung drills for any and all. all flint 38-400 threaded jugs fit 6.5 bungs, small universal bungs fit most carboys fit small universal bungs, which flipped upside down will fit wine bottles and soda bottles, ECT. ECT. ECT.
Dawg
SKOAL
a 6.5 carboy tend to use a 6.5 drilled bung,,,,

* for kits, I would keep out some of the water and use a convenient container as a fifty gallon or two Brute trash cans. ,,, I make the batch fit and use reserved water for topping off after racking.
* some yeast are bad and having 25% head space is useful. HOWEVER A general observation is the description of most yeast says “low foam”. Usually I can ferment clean juice with two to three inches of free space. My exception to this is “new selections/ special metabolic yeast” which can foam a lot.
* what are you fermenting? Fermenting on the skins or crushed fruit always takes more space in which case six inches of space is useful. Note solids as skins have weight and keep pushing the lower pulp back down, ,,, Here your issue is how much pulp are you dealing with, a wide container survives better than a skinny primary.
* I have collected enough six gallon buckets or big mouth bubblers that I can divide a primary into two containers if I see a cap forming, I keep close to the liquid volume.
* temperature? a fast ferment will be worse for foam and you can reduce foam by reducing temperature.

Latest posts

Back