Fermenter Size & Cheesecloth (Bedsheet?) Cover

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinoors

Reaction score
Ahead of Friday's crush, I've been prepping all week. I cleaned our 350 Liter fermenter last night and tested out the cheesecloth I purchased on Amazon as a cover. It turns out, the cheesecloth is only 1 yard wide and the 350 liter tub is slightly wider. I could overlap it on each side and try to somehow seal the middle, but I'm not sure if it would work. So I have the following 2 questions.....

1) Is it ok to use a clean bed sheet to cover the fermenter? Its solid and should keep out the fruit flies, but if its just cotton it should be breathable enough to let in Oxygen.

2) Do you think the 350L container (92.4 gallons) is sufficient space for 20 lugs? Referencing some of the math from this board- I would expect to have 67ish gallons of must. I just hope I have enough headspace for the rising cap, which I've noticed in prior years can take up substantial headroom.

Sheet should be fine. I kind of think in terms of inches allowing for the cap. At about 75% full (guesstimate) how much space do you figure you have left? I'd like to see at 10-12" minimum. Maybe rig up some arms to lift the sheet higher than level to the top or it'll just wick when the cap touches it.
Mike

Latest posts

Back