Fermenter lid would not "snap" down

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stbasil

Junior
Reaction score
Newbie here, I have found this forum to be extremely informative and helpful--thanks everyone-- but for this issue, I could not find any posts with a similar problem, but I did figure it out. I am posting here in case anyone else has the same issue.

My fermenter is a "Vinter's Best Cider House" 6 gallon bucket with gasketed, grommeted lid. When I went to seal the lid, with airlock, for the second phase of fermentation (at 1.010 SG), I could not get the lid to seal. It simply would not "snap" down, no matter how much pressure I placed on it--I even stood on the lid! This can't be right! So, I examined the lid more closely, and low and behold, it was gasketed alright, but with TWO rubber gaskets, one on top of another! So, I removed the extra gasket, and now the lid snaps down, and seals securely so the airlock is bubbling as it should.

So, if anyone has a similar problem, check to see if there is an extra gasket in that groove!

Newbie here, I have found this forum to be extremely informative and helpful--thanks everyone-- but for this issue, I could not find any posts with a similar problem, but I did figure it out. I am posting here in case anyone else has the same issue.

My fermenter is a "Vinter's Best Cider House" 6 gallon bucket with gasketed, grommeted lid. When I went to seal the lid, with airlock, for the second phase of fermentation (at 1.010 SG), I could not get the lid to seal. It simply would not "snap" down, no matter how much pressure I placed on it--I even stood on the lid! This can't be right! So, I examined the lid more closely, and low and behold, it was gasketed alright, but with TWO rubber gaskets, one on top of another! So, I removed the extra gasket, and now the lid snaps down, and seals securely so the airlock is bubbling as it should.

So, if anyone has a similar problem, check to see if there is an extra gasket in that groove!
Good work!

Good detective work, but I would not use a primary bucket to do secondary ferment nor snap down a lid on the primary fermentation. even with a water trap. Yeast needs oxygen during primary fermentation for yeast propagation. For secondary fermentation you can not rely on a good seal for the snap on lid 100% of the time.

Great! Now you have a spare gasket.

Latest posts

Back