Fermented Early?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicol

Junior
Reaction score
Just got my strawberry rhubarb wine transferred into secondary following a recipe (as I am new to fresh fruit wines). My SG is already at 1.000 but my recipe states it should not be done fermenting under airlock for several more weeks. My recipe used is attached.
Should I add something...?
Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• FF57A97D-C160-4067-95EB-33676BF70BE0.jpeg
    FF57A97D-C160-4067-95EB-33676BF70BE0.jpeg
    460.3 KB · Views: 23
You are find. Just remember a recipe is for guidance not a rule of thumb.
Thank you for the info.
Should there be any concern since the fermenting is done(all of which was in the bucket?)
Is there any need for more yeast nutrient?

No you are fine. I actually leave my must ferment in a bucket just covered with a cloth until sg is 1.01 or slightly lower and then I snap the lid down and add an airlock and leave it finish fermenting.

No you are fine. I actually leave my must ferment in a bucket just covered with a cloth until sg is 1.01 or slightly lower and then I snap the lid down and add an airlock and leave it finish fermenting.

I agree with the wait. I've got a tart cherry that was at 1.020 yesterday and I was thinking about racking it into a carboy (The surface of the wine in the bucket only had a few scattered clumps of bubbles but when I pull it up into the wine thief tube it foamed up about 3 inches. I can't imagine the mess I would have had if I had tried to rack it into a carboy at that point.

I agree with the wait. I've got a tart cherry that was at 1.020 yesterday and I was thinking about racking it into a carboy (The surface of the wine in the bucket only had a few scattered clumps of bubbles but when I pull it up into the wine thief tube it foamed up about 3 inches. I can't imagine the mess I would have had if I had tried to rack it into a carboy at that point.
LOL, I can imagine the mess. I have been there, everybody ought to try it at least once. ACTUALLY, don't go there. Not as much fun as it is cracked up to be. Arne.

I've never had a wine take 3-8 weeks to stop fermenting whether a kit, bucket or fruit wine.

You didn't say what day you're on (5-7 as in the instructions?) but I'd just keep it locked down and check SG again at around 14 days since pitching the yeast. Love my fruit wines good luck with yours.

I've never had a wine take 3-8 weeks to stop fermenting whether a kit, bucket or fruit wine.

You didn't say what day you're on (5-7 as in the instructions?) but I'd just keep it locked down and check SG again at around 14 days since pitching the yeast. Love my fruit wines good luck with yours.

Transferred it in secondary into carboy with airlock after 5 days. Going to give it another week and rerack. Will check the SG at that time again.

Back