fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jokos

Junior
Reaction score
I have 4 gals of grape juice wine cooking. I put 12 cups of sugar and 1 teaspoon of yeast. It has been cooking 19 days but no longer bubbling. Has gas relief via a bottle of water.
Do I let it sit for a full 6 weeks??? or do I add more yeast??? Jokos Tks

I hope you have a hydrometer. That is the only way we can help. Are you using bread yeast? Have you made wine before (I'm guessing not). whats the recipe?
Explain "gas relief " an airlock or hose in water...

I think we'll need more information. But from your first post, I don't think you'd need to add anymore yeast. Normally, yeast is only added once and it'll reproduce itself until the wine runs out of sugar or the alcohol level gets so high that it kills the yeast.

If fermentation seems to have slowed down, all you need to do now is to let it sit (without exposure to air) for as long as you can stand it. 6 month to a year isn't unheard of. If you're eager to try it, you likely won't wait that long.

I agree with Minnesotamaker, you should not have to add any more yeast, I have a post about how much yeast you need to add to get started on my web site entitled: How Much Yeast? It does a very nice job answering your question. Also if you do not have a hydrometer get one, its worth the 6 bucks.

Thanks

Thanks everyone. I will leave it alone for at least the 6 weeks.
Yes I used bakers yeast.
I used a 5 gal water bottle. Screw the cap on tight , use teflon tape if u like.
I had a bunch of sterile oxygen mask plastic hoses and i took one makiing ahole in the top of the bottle , seal it. Put the exhaust end to the bottom of a bottle of water. Bingo nice breather (non return). Can supply photos . All the best and tks to all of u. jokos

I think we'll need more information. But from your first post, I don't think you'd need to add anymore yeast. Normally, yeast is only added once and it'll reproduce itself until the wine runs out of sugar or the alcohol level gets so high that it kills the yeast.

If fermentation seems to have slowed down, all you need to do now is to let it sit (without exposure to air) for as long as you can stand it. 6 month to a year isn't unheard of. If you're eager to try it, you likely won't wait that long.

Sent you an email at your Yahoo add., no reply. pse look. sincerely Jokos

Sent you an email at your Yahoo add., no reply. pse look. sincerely Jokos

For some reason, your e-mail server won't let me reply to you. Maybe it doesn't like e-mail from a Yahoo address? Anyway, I tried responding through the message board, hope that works better.

Latest posts

Back