Fermentation Won't Start

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All - no obvious signs of fermentation this morning but I only re-inoculated last night so that's seemingly normal.

I will say that the yeast starter was night and day compared to the first one (which showed zero activity). Lots of bubbles/foaming (see pics) so that's encouraging and possibly my culprit in having originally pitched something that may have been inactive.

Oh ya! That is what you are looking for!

Hi all - just wanted to provide an update in that fermentation has officially begun! See attached photo depicting bubble/foam and cap formation.

Thank you again to everyone who chimed in w/ questions and advice, this was my first non-starter/stuck fermentation and it was extremely valuable having perspective from the collective community.

Attachments

• Pinot Noir_Fermentation.jpg
    Pinot Noir_Fermentation.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 18
I learned the hard way that having the fermentation vessel on the floor is the coldest part of the room. If the floor is a slab or concrete basement floor, even worse. I use buckets, so it's easy for me to have them on a table or counter. If your tank is sitting on a cold floor, next time, if nothing else, you might try putting a couple of 2x4s or something under it so it gets some of that 75 degree air on the bottom instead of a 60 degree slab that pulls the heat out faster than you can administer it by warming the surrounding air.

I learned the hard way that having the fermentation vessel on the floor is the coldest part of the room. If the floor is a slab or concrete basement floor, even worse. I use buckets, so it's easy for me to have them on a table or counter. If your tank is sitting on a cold floor, next time, if nothing else, you might try putting a couple of 2x4s or something under it so it gets some of that 75 degree air on the bottom instead of a 60 degree slab that pulls the heat out faster than you can administer it by warming the surrounding air.

Definitely a good reminder @garymc, though that was actually one thing I did anticipate as I've had the tank placed on a wooden palette from the get-go.

Latest posts

Back