fermentation too fast??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aauck15

Junior
Reaction score
Hi,

This is my first attempt at making wine. The kit I purchased is for a 23L batch (red wine). After the initial mixing, the S.G. was 1.083. I left the mixture in the primary fermenter for 8 days (as per the instructions in my kit). The S.G on day 8 (july 25) was 0.994. My instructions say that it should be ~ 1.000-1.010 at this point and to transfer to leave in the secondary fermenter for 10 days or more until the S.G. is below 0.995.

Can anyone tell me why the fermentation has occurred so quickly? The temeperture during primary fermentation was kept within the 21-24 degrees C range. What should I do at this point? Is the fermentation complete? Should I continue with secondary fermentation?

Thanks for your help,

Kit instructions are a guide. Temp and other condititiond make a difference. You are ahead of schedule and laa is OK.
Tell us more like which kit etc.
FYI if you "age" a little longer won't hurt

A quick fermentation is not a bad thing. It just means you can rack it off the sediment/lees and start the clearing/aging process.

Thanks for your reply,

Im not sure what brand the wine kit is because I threw away the box. It was an inexpensive one that I bought from the grocery store. It is a Cabernet Sauvignon and the instuction sheet indicates that it is a 28 day kit.

Thanks JasonH,

So, should I skip the secondary fermentation and go directly to the clearing aging process? I just racked it from the primary fermenter to a carboy this morning. Is it a bad thing to allow too much time for fermentation?

Sounds like the fermentation "MIGHT" be finished, but you don't know for sure until your SG reading has not changed for at least 2 days in a row. (I prefer checking it 3 days in a row.)

I'll assume you are utilizing a plastic fermentation bucket, which 9 or of 10 utilize. The concern at this point is that you likely (just an assumption) have not sealed the fermentation container in order to keep oxygen out, which is a prime reason for racking from the bucket to a sealable carboy. Once the SG gets below about 1.010, the fermentation container needs to be sealed and have an air lock installed. Usually, there is enough CO2 to protect the wine, so you are probably still just fine.

I would go ahead and rack to secondary, as the instructions say, and check the SG for 2 or 3 days in a row. At least the wine will be sealed from oxygen, except for when you are checking SG, of course. If the SG doesn't change, continue on with your instructions.

Don't worry, wine is pretty forgiving, so you will be fine.

Thanks JasonH,

So, should I skip the secondary fermentation and go directly to the clearing aging process? I just racked it from the primary fermenter to a carboy this morning. Is it a bad thing to allow too much time for fermentation?

I would do exactly what robie suggested. There is no harm in leaving the wine in a secondary for awhile.

Yep, check the sg a few days in a row and if the sg changes within those few days let it sit longer until you do get a stable sg. At that point proceed ahead with the directions which is most likely to add sulfite, sorbate and a fining agent.

Latest posts

Back