Fermentation too fast?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skylerl33

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I just started a FWK Forte pinot noir kit recently, and I think what I have going on is pretty odd.
I was planning on trying a 6 week EM on this one as well.
On sunday, I prepared the must per the directions in my fermenter bucket and prepared a yeast starter with RC212 in an empty wine bottle.
On monday morning i took my SG read (1.110), and I added the yeast starter to the must in bucket and loosely laid the lid on top. So this was at about 9 AM on monday.
Tuesday morning, I could see obvious signs of fermentation so I began punching down the grape skin bags and did it 3 times throughout the day.
Wednesday, continued with a punch down at 9 am, and again just now at 5pm. I hadn't taken another SG reading since the original one since it hadnt even been 72 hours yet, but I figured it was time to start taking my daily readings. To my surprise, just 56 hours after adding the yeast starter to the must, my SG is already at 1.010!!!
That is when I was planning on sealing the bucket with an airlock to begin my EM, so I did, but I just cant believe I got their so fast.
Will this wine have problems now due to such a rapid fermentation? And I was only able to punch down the grape skins for a day and half total, another concern I have.
Has anyone experienced something like this before?
I was not taking temperature of the must (which I will do from now on), but the room I was fermenting in was steady at 72-74 degrees. Is this maybe the issue?
Any suggestions or knowledge regarding this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks as always! and Happy thanksgiving!

You are fine, in fact you are better than fine. This is no problem but a perfect fermentation, IMHO. Now is the time to seal the lid so the CO2 being generated will protect the wine while it ferments further.

By the way I use a heat belt to keep the fermentation at 75F so it finishes quickly.

None of this is a problem. I've had fermentation finish in 4 days. You are using a hydrometer. It does not lie. By all means, seal it up and exclude oxygen. In the end, you don't get a lot of options. Get fermentation done and then exclude Oxygen. That's the best you can do.

You are fine, in fact you are better than fine. This is no problem but a perfect fermentation, IMHO. Now is the time to seal the lid so the CO2 being generated will protect the wine while it ferments further.

By the way I use a heat belt to keep the fermentation at 75F so it finishes quickly.
Okay great!! just seemed odd to me, but its nice hear it shouldnt be a problem!!! Appreciate it!

None of this is a problem. I've had fermentation finish in 4 days. You are using a hydrometer. It does not lie. By all means, seal it up and exclude oxygen. In the end, you don't get a lot of options. Get fermentation done and then exclude Oxygen. That's the best you can do.
Well great!! That is my plan, appreciate the feedback!! much appreciated!

@skylerl33, the overnight starters appear to produce a MUCH more rapid fermentation than the typical "sprinkle the yeast on top" or "stir the dry yeast in". When you make an overnight starter, you are providing the yeast with a much more ideal environment for reproduction, so the initial colony is much larger and is already very active when you inoculate. Typically I can smell fermentation within 6 hours of inoculation, even if I don't yet see activity.

In contrast, when adding dry yeast directly to the must, the environment is far from ideal, and the yeast has to reproduce in that environment. IME it's not unusual for fermentation to take 48 to 72 hours to really kick into gear using this method.

You didn’t mention adding the yeast nutrient pack at 48 hrs in. That should have seen done before sealing it up. Probably ok if you didn’t, just asking.
yes i forget to mention that! I did add the nutrient pack at 48 hours before sealing. now i wish i would have checked SG when I added it, but oh well.

Latest posts

Back