Fermentation too fast???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJBanks

Reaction score
This is my second batch. CC Gewurztraminer-Riesling. This time I rehydrated the yeast in warm water before I pitched and this really sped up the primary. I checked the SG at day 5 and it was at 0.998. I racked to the secondary 3 day ago and things have really slowed down to (almost) no activity. The instructions say to leave in secondary for about 12 days with and SG below 0.998. I just took an SG reading and it is already at 0.994. Do I leave it for another 9 days as the instructions say, or should I rack and stabilize already???

numbers are what count...go by them...double check them

what was your starting sg?

Kits usually always ferment fater then stated so dont worry about that. If you have a lid and airlock on thete then itll be fine for a little while longer, if not then rack to carboy noy or rack to cleaner vessel depending on what the directions state to do next.

Starting SG was 1.086. I racked from the plastic fermintation busket to a glass carboy with airlock.

You are fine then.

yep, as long as it's in an airlock carboy, a few days or maybe a week or two, won't hurt it. just check it again in 3-4 days. if it's the same, it's ready for the next step. not a kit'er, but i would be about to back sweeten and add sorbate/pot. meta. then you can bulk age for 3 months or bottle if clear.

I pitched the yeast on Friday at 12am on this elder/raspberry. SG was 1.090 at 70F, and it is already down to 1.025. Sometimes it happens. I had a batch a while ago that I started the same and it took 10 days to come down to 1.010.

wait till the sg stays the same for 3 or so days. rack, then sweeten and stabalize.

so if it's still at .998, then you can go ahead now.

once you get below the 1 mark, it's getting close to fully dry and could stop at any point.

Latest posts

Back