Quantcast

Fermentation Time

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

McSwain

Sometimes I mess up and it tastes good
Reaction score
On average, how long can I expect my 7.5 gal batch of Mead to ferment?
1 gallon of honey at 70*.

G259

Reaction score
Honey (each batch) and yeast is different, let your hydrometer tell you (.999 - .990). Although I would expect 1-2 weeks like any wine, and up to a month in extreme circumstances.

Rice_Guy

Reaction score
* 70F is normal so no correction is needed in time
* honey is a bit slower (harder to ferment) so you may not get below the 1.000 hydrometer reading. I could see having it in a primary bucket up to two weeks. HOWEVER, I pull early as 1.020
* Mead Maker is suggesting that the primary be run in a carboy or jug in which case you wouldn’t necessarily sample for a gravity reading and would go based on bubbles. (For those that live by gravity i consider it normal to stop a mead by 1.005 or 1.010)

McSwain

Sometimes I mess up and it tastes good
Reaction score
* honey is a bit slower (harder to ferment) so you may not get below the 1.000 hydrometer reading. I could see having it in a primary bucket up to two weeks. HOWEVER, I pull early as 1.020
So based on this, Once I get to 1.020 I rack into my carboy and (1) let it finish fermentation or (2) stop fermentation?
Also, my SG was 1.068-1.070. If I pull at 1.020, what would that make my ABV? (The temp is holding great at 70ish*.
Thank you for your input.

Rice_Guy

Reaction score
* 1.070 with a fermentable table sugar will give 9.5% alcohol. As a ballpark honey will do 2.5% not fermentable therefore finished alcohol could be 9 to 9.2%. Meads usually build this yield in and start higher as 1.000.
* we as home wine makers have few tools to stop a fermentation (ex a sterile filter cartridge is over $100) so normal is to let it go as dry as it will. Honey is an area by itself since it will have residual sugar and sweetness when finished fermenting. ,,,,, ? do you like sweet wine or dry wine?

G259

Reaction score
You will like mead, but let it go as low as it will, you can always back-sweeten.

Latest posts