fermentation temperature

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck with this one Joe, you are going to get every answer in the book. I'll guess over 50% will say the lower end with whites, some don't have the ability to ferment at lower temps and some will say it doesn't matter. Some reds will tell you higher heat brings out more color while others say fermenting at lower temps allow the wine to stay on the skins longer giving it better color. My personal preference cooler with everything but that's just a preference. I'm sure there are valid points for everyone's responses, looking forward to reading the opinions of others.

My personal preference is healthy and dry. That’s it. I let the wine gods choose the temps for me. If they want it hot and fast, so be it. Cooler and lengthy? Even better. I normally don’t fudge with temps.
Hard to know the qualities gained or lost from temps without a comparison from the same wine.

I too just let it do what it wants, meaning I don't have the ability to control the temp all that much if it's hot out my fermentation is on the hotter end. The benefit is it doesn't take as long, and if it's cold out it takes longer. I've even taken a heating pad in the winter to bring the temp up. I haven't noticed much difference either way, although I do admit I'm far from an expert. My wife and I enjoy drinking our wine, which is what matters.

My personal preference is healthy and dry. That’s it. I let the wine gods choose the temps for me. If they want it hot and fast, so be it. Cooler and lengthy? Even better. I normally don’t fudge with temps.
Hard to know the qualities gained or lost from temps without a comparison from the same wine.

Same here. Both of mine averaged around 73 degrees (which is probably less than ideal), and they turned out pretty decent!

Good luck with this one Joe, you are going to get every answer in the book. I'll guess over 50% will say the lower end with whites, some don't have the ability to ferment at lower temps and some will say it doesn't matter. Some reds will tell you higher heat brings out more color while others say fermenting at lower temps allow the wine to stay on the skins longer giving it better color. My personal preference cooler with everything but that's just a preference. I'm sure there are valid points for everyone's responses, looking forward to reading the opinions of others.
That is exactly what I expected but I was interested in why one would choose lower or higher temperature. I ferment at the low end and my results are good but I wondered what I might be giving up by sticking with the low temp. I never tried splitting a batch and fermenting one at the low end and one high. That would be a way to get an answer but I thought other peoples results would be more interesting.

I have tried both high end and low end temps with the Dragon Blood recipe, repeatedly. Invariably, the high end batches have a deep rich color and full tart, fruit flavor, while the low end batches produced a smoother, paler blush with more floral hints. This was with EC-1118 all around. I cannot comment on the effects on grape-based wines.

I have tried both high end and low end temps with the Dragon Blood recipe, repeatedly. Invariably, the high end batches have a deep rich color and full tart, fruit flavor, while the low end batches produced a smoother, paler blush with more floral hints. This was with EC-1118 all around. I cannot comment on the effects on grape-based wines.
Thanks!

Dangerdave's answer matches my experience. Higher temperature fermentation drives off the aromatics, but intensify color and produce a more tannic wine (in reds).

I do a lot of kits (so I'm calendar independent) and I like to start wines in January, when my cellar temperature into the 50's F. I find those wines are approachable sooner.

I also ferment wines in August when my cellar temperature is in the 70's F -- this produces a totally different wine.

Both are good. It depends on what you want, and you do not need to choose a side.

Dangerdave's answer matches my experience. Higher temperature fermentation drives off the aromatics, but intensify color and produce a more tannic wine (in reds).

I do a lot of kits (so I'm calendar independent) and I like to start wines in January, when my cellar temperature into the 50's F. I find those wines are approachable sooner.

I also ferment wines in August when my cellar temperature is in the 70's F -- this produces a totally different wine.

Both are good. It depends on what you want, and you do not need to choose a side.
I think I will follow your lead and do both!

Latest posts

Back