Fermentation Temperature Target

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IQwine

Semi-Obsessed
Reaction score
Is there a target temperature to ferment fruit wine? Most kits give you a range. :b

It breally depends on the yeast you use as each has its own tolerces towards temps and abv. That being said I choose to ferment my fruit and white wines at cooler temps in the low 60's which helps retain the wines fruity esters and not extract as much tannins.

If making from fresh fruit its usually done in the summer to temps are high inside. I keep it at room temp or put in my "cellar". What ever you do dont let it get mid 70's or higher (get a AC)

hmmm..... my strawberry got to 80 degrees in primary so hope it will be fine

Tom:
When you say "dont let it get mid 70's or higher". Does this only refer to fresh fruit wine (like actual strawberries, blackberries, pears, etc..)? Or, does this include wine from concentrate (such as welches)?

Thanks!

You really dont want the wine to get hot. This can lead to off flavors

at higher temps the yeast may work faster and thats not always a good thing. They may eat nutrients quickly and then stress and then put out H2S or other foul compounds in higher rates like Tom mentioned. Stable and cool is best. In warm months I ferment in a cellar.

I had a peach wine that did get warm recently, it had a rather nasty aftertaste but it tamed considerably after a couple rackings and some time in the bottle. I can still detect it but everybody else likes the wine. In my head I know its not what I went for, so the wine is being given away.

cheers

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back