Fermentation Temperature for Red Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MT_Keg

Junior
Reaction score
I read an article that discussed the importance of fermentation temperature and control. This article indicates that for desirable extraction of color compounds and tannins in red wine the best fermentation range is usually considered as 79-86°F (26-30°C).

For red wine concentrate, reconstituted juice, or fresh/frozen juice, where no skins are present, is there a different fermentation temperature range that should be considered since the skins are not available for color or tannin extraction? Perhaps 64-68°F (18-20°C) similar to white wine to preserve aroma?

Thanks,

MT

The mid 60's will work fine but at a slightly slower fermentation than the high 60's to mid 70 degree range. Kit manufactures recommend the mid 70's to better meet the time factors in their kit instructions.

Here in Florida, I tend to keep my house between 70 and 75 so that's the range I ferment my wines at. The wines I produce from kits fermented in that range have come out very well.

Keep in mind there can be a big difference between room temp and wine temp once fermentation gets rolling.

Keep in mind there can be a big difference between room temp and wine temp once fermentation gets rolling.
Agreed; I am under he impression that the temperature indicated in the article (WineMaker Mag) is the wine temperature. I have a fermentation chamber and monitor/control via wine temperature.

I use my laundry room for fermentation where it's a bit warmer due to the dryer and being a smaller, more confined, room where it stays in the 74*-75* range. Works great.

I use an area in my basement for all winemaking. This time of year the ambient temp is 60 deg. I have used a brew belt with a blanket for reds that will get things to a steady 70 before pitching yeast. During active fermentation it’s 76-78. That’s for reds. The whites I have done, I will use the belt and blanket to get them to 70 to pitch the yeast. However once fermentation starts I take the belt and blanket off and let them ferment in the 60 deg ambient temp.

I just crushed 300kg of Zin under my carport. The first two days, the temp was in high 30s Celsius (100-104F ?).
The Brix plumeted from 23 to 8 in 2.5 days. It will be mid 20s Celsius for the next 3-4 days, luckily, and I will press it after 6 days, as the day 7 will be hot again.
The last years batch started cooler, but the last 2 days of fermentation were in 40 C .
Not very worried today, as the last years Zin is excellent and the fermentation seems vigorous.
So, I wouldn't be too concerned, although, it would be great to be able to work in the controlled temp environment.

My kitchen has been cool lately so for my last batch I used a brew belt, digital thermostat and probe, and one of those insulated bubble bags from a meal kit service over the fermentation bucket and cinched on top with a large rubber band. Set it for 72'F.

Latest posts

Back