Fermentation temp

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kahaas56

Reaction score
Doing a kit of Pinot noir, 3 days in the temp in around 80F Percolating like crazy. Is the must to hot or this normal during fermentation? Any info would be helpful. Thanks

Is that the temp. in the room, or is it in the fermenter? Maybe a bit warm if room temp. Should be done soon at that temp. Arne.

If your ambient temp. is around 70-75F then getting an 80F must reading is normal while the fermentation is really cooking - generally days 2-5 approx.. During these days I find my must/wine will measure 5-10F above ambient temp.

I've read (but have not confirmed) that reds in general benefit from higher fermentation temps (75-80F?) and white wines lower temps (65-70F?).

Is the reason reds do better warmer because it gets more from the skins?

I did some digging based on a question raised in a similar thread. This is one of the most succinct answers I found.

The type of wine you are producing will direct what temperature range is optimum. White wines are generally fermented under cool (not cold) conditions, while red wines can be fermented a little warmer. For a fruity, white wine, cooler temperatures — 40° to 70° F — allow for the retention of highly volatile aroma components. A rapid, warm fermentation will create a draft of carbon dioxide rising from the must, taking fruity esters with it. However, red wines stand up much better to elevated temperatures (50° to 80° F), and extraction of color and tannins may actually be enhanced by it.

So yes, based on that line of thinking, you are correct.

Last edited:
My opinion..... Way to hot! Especially for something as delicate as Pinot Noir... I ferment at about 70-72.... I say cool it down. It will finish too quickly too.

In my uneducated opinion, there's a difference between what you do to your must and what the must does to itself. If my room temp was way high and THAT was causing the temp in the bucket to rise, it's on me to bring it down to where it should be. But, when active fermentation creates the heat, I just try to stay out of its way.

Last edited:
In my uneducated opinion, there's a difference between what you do to you must and what the must does to itself. If my room temp was way high and THAT was causing the temp in the bucket to rise, it's on me to bring it down to where it should be. But, when active fermentation creates the heat, I just try to stay out of its way.
Scientifically, the must doesn't care how the heat is introduced. At a given temperature, it will react the same way, assuming no other variables are changed. Just because a change happens organically, doesn't mean it won't have a negative effect on the end product. The exothermic reaction can indeed push your fermentation temperature past the ideal range for the yeast and type of wine, and IMO efforts should be made to control the temperature as much as practical.

I fill a large plastic tote with water and then swap out frozen water bottles to maintain the desired temperature when fermenting my beer. I probably should have done the same for my Sauv Blanc since it probably got past 70 at its highest point. I would have liked a lower and slower fermentation after doing more reading.

I know money plays a part in this but if you have $100 and itching to spend it and the space you can get a used chest freezer and a johnson thermostat override to control your temps.

I use this faithfully for Cold Stabilization and for cool ferments on my whites.

The exothermic reaction can indeed push your fermentation temperature past the ideal range for the yeast and type of wine, and IMO efforts should be made to control the temperature as much as practical. .

How long would a primary fermentation take in, let's say, a red that needs to go from 1.010 to 0.992 SG, if you're pushing the temps down to your desired temp?

How long would a primary fermentation take in, let's say, a red that needs to go from 1.010 to 0.992 SG, if you're pushing the temps down to your desired temp?
Did you mean 1.100? If so, and assuming a temperature around 72-75F, I'd say around 10-12 days would get you most, if not all, the way there.

If you meant 1.010, you would probably get there in a couple days.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back