Fermentation Temp

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flafemina

Reaction score
Making a Cab/Noir mix from juice. Wine now fermenting in carboy after 8 days and a SG of 1.000. What is the difference now with keeping the juice at 70 degrees or at 60 degrees. Currently I am sitting at 65.

Constant temp > perfect temp

With that said, the lower the temp, the slower the wine ages & longer it lasts

If you are looking to ferment dry, I would boost the temp to 70 degrees for the next couple of weeks. The objective here is that the yeast is at the end of days, and a little more heat might give the yeast just a slight kick in the pants needed to finish it out. After 2 weeks or so, I agree with Deezil in that you should lower the temp (ideally to "cave like" levels) and try to keep it there.

I had some wines I wanted more time on pulp. In order to get a good 10 days before going dry I fermented at 60 degree. This was for 6 gallon batch which if fermented in mid to upper 70 will finish in less than 5 days.

I have 5 gallons of cider going in a primary at the moment. Constant temp after pitching into the must has been 65 degrees. There is not as vigorous a bubbling like some of the more experienced people on here get that try to keep a 70 degree temp. It has been going along consistently with a noticeable yeast activity when I stir the must twice a day. Sitting at work now so I don't have my sg readings handy but if I remember correctly it should be ready to rack into a carboy in another week. My neighbor is doing his last cider pressing this weekend so I may have to go buy another fermenter in order to get my last free batch of cider going for the year (it's nice having a neighbor with a 200 tree orchard across the street).

I have 5 gallons of cider going in a primary at the moment. Constant temp after pitching into the must has been 65 degrees. There is not as vigorous a bubbling like some of the more experienced people on here get that try to keep a 70 degree temp. It has been going along consistently with a noticeable yeast activity when I stir the must twice a day. Sitting at work now so I don't have my sg readings handy but if I remember correctly it should be ready to rack into a carboy in another week. My neighbor is doing his last cider pressing this weekend so I may have to go buy another fermenter in order to get my last free batch of cider going for the year (it's nice having a neighbor with a 200 tree orchard across the street).

When you make your next batch, try making a one gallon batch seperate and add some vanilla to it. Really seems to smooth it down and takes some of the bite out of it. Arne.

I have a 5 gallon carboy I will be transferring the wine too later in the process which leaves me with a few extra liters. I also inherited an old 1 gallon oak barrel I was thinking of putting any leftover in. If the barrel had been sitting for years empty is it safe to use?

When you make your next batch, try making a one gallon batch seperate and add some vanilla to it. Really seems to smooth it down and takes some of the bite out of it. Arne.

I've done flavored such as vanilla and cinnamon before. I much prefer straight cider( not a big fan of complexity). I do like a bit of apple or oak chips in some meads. Next batch of mead I am considering using this fresh cider slurry in a manner similar to skeeter pee, oak chipping it, then letting it bulk age for about 1 1/2 years between 55-60 Fahrenheit. Patience is not one of my virtues and I do prefer skeeter pee/ dragon blood type recipes. Mead is prolly the most difficult because all the bottles are spoken for by the time it is ready to bottle.

Back