Quantcast

Fermentation stuck?

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Wheelman

Junior
Reaction score
I have a fermentation of Petite Syrah, Syrah, and Malbec field blend of my own grapes.

About 6 gallons of must. It has been at 1.004 for 2 days, is it stuck or finished?

I have never had my fermentation stop here, usually it goes to 0 or below.

Any help, advice, suggestions appreciated

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I would go ahead and press . the added oxygen while pressing will charge the yeast to finishing.

Wheelman

Junior
Reaction score
Thanks, I was considering that, but didn't want to end up with a sweet wine. So sounds like I should be good

Kozzie

Reaction score
Here's my question on stuck fermentation. On 10/3, I took 50 lbs of frozen red grapes, St. Croix, Marquette - three years worth, mashed the grapes and followed EC Kraus' recipe for medium body Concord wine. SG was 1.12, Acid 5.5. Added pectin enzyme, yeast nutrient, wine tannin, camden table. 10/5 added sprinkled 71B yeast. Starting 10/6 - 10/10 I had great fermentation, stirred 3x a day to push cap down, looked good. On 10/11, there was no bubbling, so I removed and pressed the grapes and added 1 gal of water to get it back up to 5 gals. Good flavor and the S.G was 1.01. Since then, there's been zero fermentation, I've wire whipped it and moved it next to the stove to get up to 73 degrees. On 10/17, with still no bubbling, I followed instructions for a stuck fermentation and added 2.5 tsp yeast energerizer. It's now 10/24 and still nothing. SG is 1.01. What should be my next step? Any advise would be great appreciated!

I should also add on 10/11 I racked from the 5 gal bucket to a carboy.

Last edited:

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers
Reaction score
May I ask how your original SG go up to 1.120? That is VERY high for the grapes you are speaking of.

Is it at all sweet right now?

Kozzie

Reaction score
The EC Kraus recipe had me add 6.5 lbs of sugar! And yes, still a bit sweet, good flavor.

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
an additional method is make yeast starter as suggested using EC1118 yeast. ounce starter is foaming well take one cup of juice and add to starter, once it is foaming add two cups, continue to double the volume each time the fermentation restarts until all in.

stickman

Veteran Winemaker
Reaction score
@Kozzie Based on Fermcalc the ABV is already around 15%, so 71B is likely out of the game as expected. A restart may be difficult, but possible if care is taken to follow procedures indicated by others above.

Kozzie

Reaction score
Sounds good, all ! Should I rack it before I add the starter to get it off the lees on the bottom?

Kozzie

Reaction score
An update. I made a yeast starter with EC1118 and thought I'd use a pint of the must along with the sugar and yeast nutrient. Well that didn't work at all - totally dead. I had to leave it sit while I was out of town. Last night I racked it off the lees and the SG is exactly 1.00 and I added a gallon of water to pump up the volume. Then I took another packet of yeast EC1118 and added 16 oz of Welch's apple concentrate with no preservative along with yeast nutrient and sugar. I did add a little water. The fermentation started quickly and tonight, I did as Salcoco suggested. I put the yeast starter into a gallon jug and added a cup of wine must. Fingers crossed that this works.

All thoughts and ideas welcomed!

Latest posts