Fermentation speed on peach wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astadler

Junior
Reaction score
First off, this is my first experiment with anything but grape kits. I based my recipe off the one found here: One-Gallon Fruit Wine Recipes | Quality Wine And Ale Supply | HomeBrewIt.com :: HomeBrewIt.com, and I used Lalvin K1-V1116 yeast (recommended by local store).

Made the must about a week ago, added campden, gave it a day to dissipate and added yeast, SG was 1.100 initially. After a few hours fermentation started, within a day it was going fast and hard. Punched the bag down daily. Now, 5 days later I noticed that fermentation had completely stopped, so I was going to add more yeast to try to restart it, but checked SG first and it was 0.994. I’ve never had a kit (6 or 1 gallon) ferment anywhere near this quickly, does this seem/sound normal for a fruit/peach 1 gallon batch?

Never having done peach before, I can’t really go off of smell to see if anything is off, but it doesn’t smell off, basically just peach and yeast.

This time of year temps are generally warmer even in homes so ferments can run pretty fast. My last three ferments were started on July 9 (2) & 10 (1) the first two were done by the 12th. I waited an extra day or two and on the 17th all were completely finished. 3 days is the fastest I've ever had, think that was a blueberry - it does happen when temps and conditions are right.

The fact that this is peach will not make a difference in fermentation rate, a must where the nutrition is good/ conditions as pH or alcohol concentration or oxygen are satisfactory will ferment out equally.
The biggest factor on rate will be temperature.
.image.jpg

That explains it, thermostat has been a bit higher to save on A/C lately. I’ll continue as planned, thanks all!

Latest posts

Back