Fermentation smells

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GhostHawk

Reaction score
Ok, Im on my second batch ever right now. The first was blackberry and now the second is peach. I noticed with the blackberry that it made the whole house smell like yeast in a major way. No berry smell. Now with the Peach the smell is very low and I can actually smell a little peach in it.

Do some wines stink more than others or am I just lucky? lol

Also this peach wine seems to foam more than the blackberry.

Chuck

Blueberry is much stronger than Peach. Just enjoy the smell of fermenting fruit. All will smell different.

Different yeasts and even different temps will produce different smells. How many lbs per gllaon on the Blackberries and how many lbs per gallon on the peach?

Different yeasts and even different temps will produce different smells. How many lbs per gllaon on the Blackberries and how many lbs per gallon on the peach?

Blackberries was at 5# per gal and Peach was 6# per gal. Same yeast. Temps may have been different by 5 degrees.

Pretty close to what I would use for the Blackberries but would use more on the peach.

Even my OH likes the smell of fermenting wine and she wants nothing to do with it. Right now the house smells great with Chilean aromas. :h

Latest posts

Back