Fermentation questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuz

Reaction score
I have purchased a Carmenere 6 gallon juice from a local vendor in NY. It is Collinwood juice from Ohio. The vendor I purchased from told me - don't do anything to the juice. Just let it sit for 5 months rack it once and let it age. He said the cap on the juice is an air lock. I wasn't quite sure what I purchased so didn't open the pail yet. I called Carl at Collinwood and he said the pail that I have has EC1118, nutrients, tannins and the PH is adjusted. He told me to uncover the pail for a couple days and start the fermentation. However it has been in the 65-80 degrees for a little more than a week unopened. I thought I was buying fresh juice and would like to start from scratch. So my questions are:

Will K-Meta kill ec118 - I would like to us D254?

If my Brix seems low because fermentation has started, should I add sugar or just let the D254 continue where the EC1118 left off?

Is it an overkill to add my own tannins and nutrients

I wouldn't touch the tannins and nutrients. The juice you purchased sounds like a ready to go 6 gallon kit wine essentially. Messing with the tannins and nutrients could create some issues unless you know what amounts were in there already. Unless you contact Collingwood and they say "no problem" I'd leave it be. Learn the lesson and next time ask for a pail without the additions and run the batch your way.

Last edited:
I agree with @Scooter68, I wouldn't do anything. If you add sugar, your final ABV will wind up too high. And unlikely KMS will knock off the EC-1118 adequately.

What is the SG @ now? Gotta think that it was somewhere close to 1.080-1.100 range. Whatever it is now will give some indication of how far along it is if not a more precise indication. You could also ask the vendor.

I would break from the recommendations and say that you can certainly add d254 to the juice and the result will be different from ec1118 alone. It might also be fine to follow a nutrient protocol.

Additional tannins or sugar can be excessive.

Will the vendor provide specifics about quantities they added and their initial measurements for brix, SG, pH, TA, etc....

Thx!
-johann

Johann

Do you think I should try to kill the EC 1118 before adding the D254?

Johann

Do you think I should try to kill the EC 1118 before adding the D254?

You've had this for a week at fermentation temperature, unopened? Please open it and measure the specific gravity as asked, fermentation may be over, and if it is, these discussions are moot, and precious oxidation prevention time may be passing.

If it's not fermenting at those temps, over the course of a week, with EC-1118 added, you still have a problem.

+1 for Johnd's notes. You probably won't be able to "kill" the ec1118. If you have enough sugar (or your SG is adequately high) the d254 may have a good chance of populating and enhancing what the ec-1118 is doing.

As noted - It has been sitting for a week though so it's likely that fermentation is over or close to over.

Take some measurements and pics.

How does it taste?

Cheers and good luck!
-johann

To Reiterate what has been said. It may have been fermenting for over a week now. Unless the seller provides specifics on the SG, and ALL the other details of the juice as they created it. Doing ANYTHING now is a risky proposition. Adding another yeast, tannins, etc now is more likely to do harm than good at this point.

You need to take measurements now to see where it's at - fermentation may well be over by now and your next step would then be to rack and add K-meta to protect it.

In the future would be best to know what exactly you're purchasing before you take it and let it reach fermentation temps.

I will say that in my looking at the manufactures site, I could find nothing precise telling what they provide other than approx Brix, stablized pH and a few other points. Not saying that's a bad thing. There are a number of folks on this board who have used and love their products. Just need to know what you are buying before buying to avoid surprises and disappointments.

Like buying a racing car and then trying to make it street legal - it may or may not be possible or feasible.

So my SG is 1.00 maybe a hair less. So why can't I add sugar and the D254?

Taste good but a lot of gas in there.

So my SG is 1.00 maybe a hair less. So why can't I add sugar and the D254?

Taste good but a lot of gas in there.

Fermentation is nearly over. If you add sugar, you'll boost the alcohol content, and since you don't know where you started, could easily produce a high octane wine. Adding another yeast and sugar is pointless, EC 1118 will gobble the sugar long before the D254 gets going.

Thanks everyone - Just going to rack and make sure I know what I am buying next time. Actually, I want pure juice. Does anyone know where to purchase fresh crushed grape juice?

Ok so I am going to rack the wine tomorrow but put it back in some heat. (It's been at about 65F). Keep it at 70-75 for another week to see if I can get the SG down to .99 then rack again and add K-meta

Back