Fermentation Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfonta000

Junior
Reaction score
I am making 5 gallons of Blueberry wine, and I have not seen any signs of fermentation and I pitched yeast almost 96 hours ago. I have nop bubbling action in the airlock, but when I punch the fruit down, I see mild foaming on top, and the foaming gets more when I stir. Is it fermenting?

i think the more experienced crew will need what type of yeast you used and what was the temp. of the must was when you pitched the yeast, and what is the temp. currently...
from my own personal experience, i did not have a lot of "cap" on my blueberries. it was almost like the fermentation was taking place IN THE BERRIES...i had smooshed them to nothing and they would plump back up everyday! :d

Don't go by visual signs alone. Use a hydrometer. Your must sounds like it's underway but what gravity did you start at, current temp., yeast used, these all effect the progress.

What is the gravity now and what was it at at start? If you have it under airlock in your primary it is or will be starving for oxygen.

It sounds like it is fermenting - rather slow - but fermenting.

What is the SG now - check it - that will tell you 100% for sure if it is fermenting.

Also what is the temp which you are fermenting at - that will affect the fermentation as well.

well, I will check when i get home. The room temp is approx 70 degrees farenheit, what should it read with the hydrometer now?

Hopefully lower - if starting SG is 1.100 anything less than that would mean fermentation is going on. Different yeasts work at different speeds - i would think you might be around 1.065 - 1.075.

Ideally temp should be about 73-75.

74 in the room where I am fermenting, and absolutely no change in the SG reading from when I started...I think it may be time to get another packet of yeast and prime this time as the last time I did not read and just pitched it dry

Can you hear anything like a sizzling in there, it would sound like an open soda can?

Instead of just pitching yeast in, I would recomned you make a yeast starter by rehydrating the yeast in water and adding a little bit of your must every few hours. This way, you can determine if the yeast are viable and it helps them become acclimated to the environment and hopefully lessen any strain on the culture.

ok, so I start with a couple ounces of water...what is it gonna do...then when I add a little of my must, what will that do?

When you dump the yeast in tap water, you can tell they are rehydrating. Leave them like that for a half hour and then add a little bit of must (half cup). Cover it with a paper towel and leave it alone for a few hours then add a little more must. After leaving this alone for a while longer you should start to see some action going on. You can continue to do this a few more times, or just dump the starter in after a few rounds of must. Personally, I make my starter up the day beforehand and add a small amount of must every 4 hours or so. I normally pitch the yeast at the same time the next day. Be sure to use a big container to start the yeast so it doesn't blow up all over your basement/laundry/beagle.

ok, so I start with a couple ounces of water...what is it gonna do...then when I add a little of my must, what will that do?

I've had good luck with starting with 2 oz water, warming it in the microwave until lukewarm (not hot), adding the yeast, letting it sit 20-30 minutes, adding about 2 oz of must to it, letting it sit 30-40 minutes, then pour the yeast into the must, stirring and let it go to town.

I usually just do warm tap water - it gets to about 103 degrees. The yeast should be in 100 - 104 degrees.

well, poured down the drain, took advice from many different people and still couldnt get yeast to take.

well, poured down the drain, took advice from many different people and still couldnt get yeast to take.

you know, you shouldn't have done that, you never came back to say if you took a second reading, this could have been fermenting. As Tom says, actually he harps on this, Patience!

Back