Fermentation Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wiz

Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon batch of blackberry. The airlock is bubbling but there is no foam. I am also filled pretty close to the top with the bag of fruit. Is lack of foam a problem? Is it in need of more oxygen that the high filling of the bucket is preventing?

Also temp. right now is 69 degrees. Here is Central America we don't heat or air condition so it is difficult to be at 75 degrees.

The lack of foam mean nothing. They all do different things...the bubbling is a good indicator that it's going well.

If you are concerned about oxygen then just opent the cover from time to time for leave it loosely on top or just drape a towel over it without the lid.

U R fine. It all depends on what yeast U R using.

Punch down the bag of fruit 2X daily. Remove when @ 1.015

How about the recipe.

I agree with all above. Different yeast have different characteristics and it looks like you picked a good one since your bucket is so full. If you picked a very vigorous yeast youd most likely have a mess on youyr hands and maybe your ceiling!!!

I'm using Red Star Montrachet which is supposed to be a vigorous yeast which was my concern. Thanks for the replies.

Who told you Montrachet was vigorous, thats surely not true. Montrachet and Cotes zdes Blanc or very easy fermenters with little foaming. Premier Cuvee on the other hand get get pretty active.

Back