Fermentation question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Regmata

Reaction score
I have a WE Eclipse Nebbiolo kit going. I added currants, elderberry and some cherries with the plan to do an extended maceration. I switched the yeast to BM4x4, that I rehydrated with Fermaid O and fed with Fermaid K per the instructions. My initial SG was 1.082 and after a couple of weeks I seem to be stalled at an SG of 1.002. That leaves me with an ABV of 10.5% if my calculations are correct.

What are my options here? I was hoping to take it to dry...is it possible and if so, how? If not, what is my best bet? Just hit it with K-met, finish my EM and bottle as initially planned with the lower ABV?

Thanks in advance

At that SG you are looking at and "Off-Dry" wine and depending on your preferences that might work well depending on how true to a classic Nevbbiolo wine you want to get. . As to getting the wine to continue to ferment, a lot depends on determining why it stopped. Nutrients are probably not an issue but without some other measurements it could be difficult to tell. Has the temp in the fermentation location changed significantly in the past week or two? You could try warming it up a bit, and check the SG carefully for a few days. A little additional nutrient might help as well, just don't do that if you already have it in a carboy. (Recently one member was making a pineapple wine and unfortunately added yeast nutrient while it was in a standard top carboy. He experienced a 'foam fountain' that blew out a lot of his fruit solids.)

I certainly prefer dry to off dry and would like to restart it. I was hoping for something easy, like tossing another yeast pack in there lol.

The temperature has not changed appreciably. The wine is in my pantry and should have remained between 70 and 72. I also have a Lodi cab going next right next to it that is down to 0.994 and has been going the same amount of time. I don't have a means to warm it up on hand.

Currently, the wine is in a big mouth bubbler and not bubbly much, if at all. However, I am a shade worried about adding more nutrients, because the second dose was given at a brix of 11.5. I read that if you get too low, the yeast will no longer be able to use the nutrients and you just end up feeding spoilage organisms. I haven't rechecked the brix, but I imagine it is below the cut off by now. Unfortunately, I had forgotten about a trip I had planned and started the wine at a bad time. My neighbor ended up taking care of it during vigorous fermentation and I am unsure of exactly what happened.

one thought I would calculate the amount of sugar to be added to get a sg=1.012. that will give you a final abv of 12% where this wine should be. then make a yeast starter get the yeast going good I would use EC1118. once going well add one liter of the wine, once it is fermenting well add two liters. continue in this matter doubling the volume added and awaiting continued fermentation until all is transferred. I would remove any bulk must before starting this routine.

Thank you for the tip. Now, I did not account for the sugar that came along with the elderberry, currants and cherries...is there a way to do so that is remotely accurate?

I assumed the starting sg that you mentioned was after adding the berries etc. I have seen tables indicating the sugar content of some fruit however I donot recall where. possibly google the requirement?

Haha, you sound like me when someone asks a question they should google. I will get on it, thanks again

Thanks. I think I just figured it out and the amount I added was fairly minimal. Only took me to 1.084 starting SG.

Latest posts

Back