Fermentation question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike3049

Junior
Reaction score
added my yeast on Oct. 6, SG was 1.080, racked from bucket to carboy on Oct. 21, SG was 1.004. Still sitting at 1.004. I got this bright idea to add some yeast energizer to the carboy, 1/2 tsp per gallon. I only put (2) 1/2 tsps in and she started blowing like a violent volcano, wine everywhere, what a mess. I'd like to get my reading below 1.000, what should I do? It's a red wine from juice.

Your must is around 19% alcohol. Getting a new ferment going would be difficult. Your ferment is stuck, although it does stand a chance to finish on its own.
If it were mine and too sweet for my liking, I would make another bucket and blend them.

When you add yeast nutrient to wine that has already been fermenting, you will get a lot of bubbling for a minute or two. Been there done that.

Recommend that you are careful whenever adding such things to wine in a carboy. Had you racked it into a carboy with the nutrient on the bottom of the carboy that foaming would likely have subsided by the time the carboy was full. Suggestion for the future perhaps, ferment in a bucket with a towel cover, when the SG dips below 1.010, cover the bucket with a plastic lid and airlock or just lay the cloth over the lid (Assuming there is a grommet hole for an airlock) That step will help maintain the protective blanket of CO2 while the ferment completes.

You don't say what variety of wine but I would suggest that you taste it 'as is' - you may find it to your liking or not but no harm, no foul to see what you think now before you invest time and effort attempting to restart the fermentation. As ceeaton states you are at virtually 10% ABV which is acceptable for a finished wine - IF the taste is good, not too sweet.

I have two other 6 gal carboys in the same situation, SG just above 1.000. Should I let them sit another week or two to see if they go below 1.000 on its own, or try restarting ferment, what's your thoughts on adding other pack of yeast or am I over thinking this? Or, like you said, just taste it to see if you like it, only problem, for me, is a wine that young doesn't taste all that great, to me.

Again it depends on the type of wine and how you like your wine.*
Also how long have those other wines been fermenting?
As to young wines, you have to 'taste past those young wine characteristics to see what you think it will be like.

* I have a Tart Cherry wine that fermented just below 1.000 and I ended up back-sweetening it to 1.018. Normally that would be extraordinarily sweet but with a Strong Tart Cherry you don't get any sweetness until the finish. Not everyone would like that tartness and some would turn away just based on the SG but in reality its a great wine - At least to me.

Last edited:
My other wines are a red Amarone and they have fermenting for 6 weeks now.

Seems odd that you’d have three wine stop at 1.000 +/- and not finish. First, check your hydrometer in distilled water, it should read EXACTLY 1.000. If it’s accurate, something about your fermenting environment or process is off.

If you’ll answer a few questions, we may be able to help better.

What yeast are you using?
Are you using juice buckets or kits?
What are the temps in your fermentation area?
Other than the yeast energizer, did you use any nutrients?

Hi John, I had a total of 5 buckets, 3 from Italy, and 2from California. The 2 from California finished at .996, I racked them and added 1/2 tsp of k-meta, the 3 from Italy are hanging above 1.000, it's been 6 weeks now.I used Ec-118 yeast,fermenting room temp is 70F. I did not use nutrients, I just tried the energizer.

Hey scooter68, I did what you suggested on another stuck fermentation. This time I added the yeast energizer to an empty carboy, then racked the wine into it. I had a little overflow, but very manageable. My first carboy I did yesterday, that erupted on me, was reading .996 today.

Thanks for the help

Hey scooter68, I did what you suggested on another stuck fermentation. This time I added the yeast energizer to an empty carboy, then racked the wine into it. I had a little overflow, but very manageable. My first carboy I did yesterday, that erupted on me, was reading .996 today.

Thanks for the help

The trick is to watch the activity and never walk away even for a minute. Put in about a 1/2 quart to a quart of your wine must for a one gallon carboy (Or equivelant in a larger carboy) and give it a minute to respond.

Had a of batch apple wine fermenting last week and when I added the final dose of nutrient at 1.028 (In a bucket) It foamed up for about 15-20 seconds and then faded out. Prior to doing that the fermentation foam had calmed down to just scattered groups of bubbles. The fermentation picked up it's pace a bit and finished off at .994 two days later. That ferment took 10 days start (SG 1.090) to finish (SG .994)

Latest posts

Back