Fermentation Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can someone explain how adding an unnecessary step that is potentially harmful is not a fools errand? This keeps getting asked but I've seen no answers.

Then you haven't read the thread. I've said it probably 5 times on this and other threads, but I'll say it again. Rinsing with tap water provides a mechanical process for removing bacteria which I theorize carried negligible risk and potentially could be helpful. Think of the inside of a racking cane - the only mechanical process you can employ regularly on this surface is rinsing.

There's also a video out there somewhere
Until you post the video, this is wishful thinking. In the video I linked above, he's doing EXACTLY what you call a "fool's errand."

I don't know I'm right. But you can't know I'm wrong.

Edited to say this is my last post on this thread.

Then you haven't read the thread. I've said it probably 5 times on this and other threads, but I'll say it again. Rinsing with tap water provides a mechanical process for removing bacteria which I theorize carried negligible risk and potentially could be helpful. Think of the inside of a racking cane - the only mechanical process you can employ regularly on this surface is rinsing.
So you are saying the proper procedure is to sanitize and then rinse? Isn't that backwards? Remember, the issue here is rinsing after sanitizing.

I have. Go back to post #5 where this started. This is getting beyond silly. I'm out. Trash me all you want. I won't respond. Vote me idiot of they year for all I care. Rinsing sanitized equipment is probably a habit that goes back to when people had to use things like bleach that would impact the flavor of the wine and stuck around as habit.

Been deep here for a while, nice view from my recliner though........
I was up all night trying to figure out how Friar Tuck sanitized his equipment....... I mean they didn’t have tap water, and if he used creek water who is to say some one upstream didn’t use the creek to relieve themselves.............

HERE'S TIM ON A NORTHERN BREWER FORUM RE: RINSING K-META FROM BOTTLES AFTER SANITIZING :

tim_vandergrift
Jan '16

As long as you let them drip for three minutes, the residual sulphite from retained volume of a 1250 PPM FSO2 solution will be under 2-3 PPM--not a thing to worry about. I've made approximately ten thousand gallons of wine in the last 25 years and I've never rinsed the sulphite out of a single bottle.

Here's the link to the forum: http://forum.northernbrewer.com/t/d...sanitized-with-potassium-metabisulfite/7535/5

END OF STORY!

Until you post the video, this is wishful thinking. In the video I linked above, he's doing EXACTLY what you call a "fool's errand."

I don't know I'm right. But you can't know I'm wrong.

Edited to say this is my last post on this thread.

4292.gif

I lied earlier when I said it was my last post.
THIS is my last post, only to say the sanitizer experiment thread is here for anyone with constructive comments.

Back