Fermentation Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spelton04

Junior
Reaction score
Hi, new to wine making and have started a muntons rose wine kit.

I have followed the instructions but have hit a brick wall.

Fermentation was going strong and bubbling away. After 3 days I topped up the 4.5L tub to a gallon and fermentation has stopped but I have taken two SG Readings. Week 1 was 1.020 and week two was 1.015. Bubbles have stopped but the tub lid still swells up and when pressed air passes through the airlock.

My hydrometer says "bottle" assuming it's ready to bottle but I'm unsure.

Should I leave it for the rest of the week and chexk the SG again.

I've not put the finings in yet as that's 4 days away as per instructions.

Any One have any ideas

Sounds like you have a beer hydrometer. Wine should ferment to about .995.

Although you instructions talk about watching the bubbles, that is a poor thing to do. Trust your hydrometer reading. Bubbles will escape depending on a couple of factors, principally temperature.

Steve

Sounds like you have a beer hydrometer. Wine should ferment to about .995.

Although you instructions talk about watching the bubbles, that is a poor thing to do. Trust your hydrometer reading. Bubbles will escape depending on a couple of factors, principally temperature.

Steve

Steve I have a hydrometer which says medium, dry and sweet it also has alot more wine related text. The instructions don't necessarily say observe bubbles that's just a thing I thought to do. Online says once bubbles have stoppd then fermentation is complete but that dosnt always seen the case. I'l sit it out the remainder of the week and test the SG again the hydrometer has dropped so something happened lol. I'l chexk back and next week I add the finings etc

Have you racked yet? Can't hurt to wait if you are off the gross lees.

Not racked yet, it is still in the tub. Im going to check the SG at the end of the week too see if its droped. I guess it may hsve as it went from 1.020 to 1.015 in a couple of days.

I have a wine buddy kit on the go now. Seems simpler than the muntons kit range. 7 days compared to 3 weeks

I have a wine buddy kit on the go now. Seems simpler than the muntons kit range. 7 days compared to 3 weeks

The only difference is the number of days they printed on the instruction sheets! What I am trying to say is those times are "for amusement purposes only." Don't make any decision based upon the times on the sheet; go by your hydrometer.

The only difference is the number of days they printed on the instruction sheets! What I am trying to say is those times are "for amusement purposes only." Don't make any decision based upon the times on the sheet; go by your hydrometer.

Okay so if my hydrometer says 0.994 then it' ready or 0.998 etc

When the hydrometer reads the same reading for three or four days it is finished . Patience , time and abstinence are your friends. "We shall drink no wine before its time."

When the hydrometer reads the same reading for three or four days it is finished . Patience , time and abstinence are your friends. "We shall drink no wine before its time."

Checked today and were at 1.010 so I will check back mid week.

Latest posts

Back