fermentation not slowing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobymaria

Junior
Reaction score
I started some fruit wines and racked them to their carboys 3 days ago. The gallon of blueberry is bubbling much more than I usually see. The others are bubbling normally. Do I need to do something with this?

I started some fruit wines and racked them to their carboys 3 days ago. The gallon of blueberry is bubbling much more than I usually see. The others are bubbling normally. Do I need to do something with this?

Any way to take a specific gravity reading? That will give us all here an idea of where things stand with you wine. Other things like start date, starting gravity, temperature, etcetera will get you responses that might help you out some more.

@cobymaria Bubbling is not a measure of fermentation, so more or less bubbles doesn't tell you anything. A specific gravity reading is the best way to know what is going on.

Third try here to respond, not sure what I'm doing wrong. I started the blueberry wine 12/14 with a sg of 1.09. Four days later I racked into carboy with sg of 1.03. Five days later, temp is 69-70 and sg is 1.01

Third try here to respond, not sure what I'm doing wrong. I started the blueberry wine 12/14 with a sg of 1.09. Four days later I racked into carboy with sg of 1.03. Five days later, temp is 69-70 and sg is 1.01

Keep an eye on it.
Sounds like it is still moving along, but blueberry is known for getting stuck.

I'd simply wait another week or two or when I no longer saw airlock activity and then take another reading.

Last edited:
Besides what everyone else said, in the future try to wait until your sg is down to 1.010 or there abouts before racking it to a carboy.

Besides what everyone else said, in the future try to wait until your sg is down to 1.010 or there abouts before racking it to a carboy.

The yeast need nutrient as they ferment, especially when the environment is becoming toxic. I think racking too early can remove some of these needed nutrients and slow fermentation as Julie said. Wait too long, you can have other issues. It's all about timing and I wait for .5 brix or less, before taking the ferment off the primary fermentation lees.

Latest posts

Back