fermentation lock

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jicard

Junior
Reaction score
I am currently making my second batch of blackberry wine and the fermentation stopped at sg 1.050 this past tuesday. I checked it friday and it was still at 1.050. This is only the second batch i have ever made. friday i put in a yeast nutrient and some more yaest. I am still at 1.050. did i ruin this batch or is there something i can do?

Need more info starting gravity // Kit?, Fruit?,
Recipe and what you did so far.

i used blackberries and my starting sg was 1.10. i started with 9lbs of blackberries, 5lbs sugar, 14 pints of water, yeast nutrient, pectic enzyme, and red star matrachet yeast. I combined all of this into my fermenter, put my lid on it and airlock. it took off at first but when i siphoned it off and moved it to my carboy it stopped at 1.050. I am using the vintners best wine making kit.

Last edited:
Not sure why you racked so soon. You probably left alot of yeast behind.
If in a bucket splash it around to get some O2 in there and take the airlock off. If that dont work add a yeast starter.
Primary need more O2 so we say lay the lid on top w/ no airlock.
BTW you started a little high in the gravity. Blackberry can take it but you will need a good f-pac to bring out the flavor. Otherwise you will taste more alcohol.

I wouldn't have racked it off to carboy so soon. The yeast LOVES oxygen during initial fermentation and I'm guessing you racked and added an air lock?

What sort of temperature is the must at right now?

I'd stir VIGOROUSLY and consider adding some more yeast if it doesn't kick back in in a day or so.

I'd also be tempted to put it back in a primary bucket until it gets down closer to 1.02 or lower.

everything i have read today has told me to not use an airlock on initial fermentation. did this cause problems with my yeast or can it actually kill the yeast? i noticed that i am getting some action in my airlock again. when should i take another reading?

everything i have read today has told me to not use an airlock on initial fermentation. did this cause problems with my yeast or can it actually kill the yeast? i noticed that i am getting some action in my airlock again. when should i take another reading?

jicard, I noticed you started a new thread about this issue, you should keep it all in this thread making it easier for members to follow the whole story and help if possible.

You hadn't yet mentioned the temps this is at, which if it's below 70 could cause slow fermentations, though considering the time of year it's probably not the culprit.

And it's not that you shouldn't use an airlock but it's not as necessary during initial fermentation.

Did you leave it in the carboy or go back to the bucket??

And, you can take the readings any time you like.

Latest posts

Back