Fermentation Kit in 14 Days

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebusify

Reaction score
I have a Rose kit and the question I have is about the 14 day fermentation. The instructions call for 14 days but I'm at day 9 and my SG is 1.002. Two days ago it was at 1.010. It's dropped that much in 48 hours. Should I be concerned if I reach .998 before the 14 days? Because the way it's looking, it will reach .998 in just a one or two days. Should I start to stabilize at .998 even if I haven't reached the 14 days? I'm sure it's just a number and it's all based on the SG but I'm sure I need confirmation.

Thank you to everyone that has replied to my threads. It's very much appreciated.

No need for concernd. The SG reading is more important than how long it takes to finish. Wait until your SG reading is the same for three days and then rack and stabilize per your instructions. You should be good to go!

Wine kit instructions are somewhat generic. Fermentation time is dependent on many factors including temperature. As a result you should focus on specific gravity rather than the number of days. However, there is no requirement to act quickly when SG reaches 0.998. If you prefer to wait for the next step until day 14 (an additional 2-3 days), doing so will still be fine. So, your answer is wait for 0.998 then go to the next steps at that time or within 2-3 days, thereafter.

In theory if I wait longer then the sweetness goes down and the dryness goes up, correct?
Thanks for your replies. It means a lot to a noob like me.

In theory if I wait longer then the sweetness goes down and the dryness goes up, correct?
Thanks for your replies. It means a lot to a noob like me.

Not exactly. The yeast will eat all the available sugar, more or less no matter what you do. When finished, the wine will be completely dry. In other words, there isn't an easy way for a home winemaker to stop a fermentation in progress, leaving any residual sugar.

Rebusify, You are not wrong - the lower the ending gravity , the more dry the wine... but you are making a kit and the maker of the kit has presumably "balanced" the target final gravity with the acidity of the wine and the tannin content. If the manufacturer is suggesting that the FG will be .998 and you hit that mark then you have hit the target the manufacturer wanted you to hit. Another point or two above or below that target is not a disaster and the taste will be more or less as desired. The challenge comes when you are making wines from your own grapes or country wines from your own fruit, flowers or vegetables. Then you need to find the right balance between ABV, sweetness, acidity, mouthfeel and tannin. With a kit, I would presume that the manufacturer has done the heavy lifting.

Latest posts

Back