Fermentation has not started

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean P Kosier

Junior
Reaction score
Hi there,

Very new to wine making
Made 1st batch of Moscato, 6 gallon recipe, all went VERY well and tastes great
We purchased 96oz can of Peaches and Water/Vintners Harvest, followed directions to the T and SG not changing at all, temperature was hovering around 67-68
Called and spoke with supplier, he recommended , warming area up, giving the must a good stir and add more yeast nutrient, I have the temp 75-80 for 48 hours and SG still not budging
Any thoughts?

If it doesn't go with the yeast, you might have to splash rack it or pour it back and forth between two buckets. Might have some preservative in there that won't let the yeast take off. Shouldn't have tho with vinters harvest, but the extra oxygen from pouring should help also. Try making a yeast starter, pkg. of yeast, a cup or two of warm water, some sugar and let the yeast get started. Mix in a fairly large container, when it gets going, add a cup of your must.
When that gets going, add another cup and keep doing this. When you get a good amount going, dump it into the batch. Should keep on fermenting. Good luck with it,
Arne.

Thanks
Local supplier basically said “eh just keep going and don’t worry about it “
Still no change
Racked in a 3 gallon carboy
Tasted the remainder in the siphon——-VERY sweet peach juice
I will try yer method for sure

Do you have this in an open container? If not rack it to one. Yeast needs that air to get a good ferment going. And leave the lid on loosely, stir daily.

Make a starter.
Use a quart jar.
Add 1 cup of very warm water and a pkg of yeast, stir or swirl to mix.
Let sit in warm place 30 min. Give or take.
You can add go ferm first or not.
After 30 min. there should be some foaming.
If yes add sugar or honey. 2 or 3 table spoons desolved in anther cup of water,maybe some fermaid K, 1/2 tsp. shake the stuff out of it let it sit an hour or two with a loose lid. If tbe yeast is good youll know in two hours.
Some folks will add must to this or this to some must, in a bigger container, because this jar is getting full of foam now, and let sit a day or two. I never have.
Then poor into your fermentation bucket with the must.

This is my protocol derived from many sources like jack keller, yeast manufacturers, and real people suggestions from folks here.

Why 3/4 of a package of yeast?

Latest posts

Back