fermentation has it started?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jooles

Junior
Reaction score
Hi All, my first batch of elderflower sparkling wine, there has been no obivious signs of fermentation since 24th June, the next step is when fermentation finished rack into clean jar and add wine finings and leave in cool to clear- how will I know when fermentation starts/ ends? its my first attempt at thisall help much appreciated :)

Do you have a hydrometer? Thats the best way to tell. Some fruits and kits show very little sign of fermentation. The only way to truly tell if something is going on is to use a hydrometer. If it goes 2-3 days without anything changing then I'd do a starter with some new yeast. It would be nice to know the recipe also. Maybe too much Sulfite in the beginning?

Hi All, my first batch of elderflower sparkling wine, there has been no obivious signs of fermentation since 24th June, the next step is when fermentation finished rack into clean jar and add wine finings and leave in cool to clear- how will I know when fermentation starts/ ends? its my first attempt at thisall help much appreciated :)

Yeah, without much info it's hard to say what's going on. Did you start on the 24th or is that the last time you saw action in the primary?

Tell us your exact steps. As MN asks, did you use a hydrometer along the way?

What kind of yeast did you use.

Keep us informed, we love to help with these things.

Also, welcome aboard.

If you added the sulfites at the same time as the yeast - this could cause the yeast from working.

Using a hydrometer is the best way to tell if fermentation is going on. You can also see a visible "cap" which is the pulp being pushed up to the top.

hey Jooles the other folks are right that we need some hydrometer readings. Welcome to our forum. How about going to the introductions thread and letting us know a little bit about you.

Thank you all so much for such quick and informative responses!! I have never used hydrometer but will try and purchase one. Ive taken the recipie from Ben Turner's 'The Compleat Home Winemaker & Brewer' below are the steps Ive followed to date,

1. Dissolved white grape juice concentrate in the water added active yeast and nutrient, covered and when it started to fermented I added elder florets.

2. Then I pressed the flowers down twice daily after four days I strained out flowers, poured the must into fermentation jar, topped up, fitted and air lock to start fermentation - (this was on 24th June)

the next steps are as follows,

3. when fermentation is finished, rack into clean jar add wine finings, leave in cool to clear.
4. when wine is bright rack again and store
5. add 70 grams of sugar and active champagne yeast, fit air lock and as soon as wine is fermenting pour into champagne bottles
6. store in warm for seven days and then cool place for 6 months.

Any clues where I have gone wrong with the recipie? I will post hydrometer readings when I get the hydrometer, and I will go on to introductions thread too Dan.

many thanks for help so far:h

Last edited:
Thank you all so much for such quick and informative responses!! I have never used hydrometer but will try and purchase one. Ive taken the recipie from Ben Turner's 'The Compleat Home Winemaker & Brewer' below are the steps Ive followed to date,

1. Dissolved white grape juice concentrate in the water added active yeast and nutrient, covered and when it started to fermented I added elder florets.

2. Then I pressed the flowers down twice daily after four days I strained out flowers, poured the must into fermentation jar, topped up, fitted and air lock to start fermentation - (this was on 24th June)

the next steps are as follows,

3. when fermentation is finished, rack into clean jar add wine finings, leave in cool to clear.
4. when wine is bright rack again and store
5. add 70 grams of sugar and active champagne yeast, fit air lock and as soon as wine is fermenting pour into champagne bottles
6. store in warm for seven days and then cool place for 6 months.

Any clues where I have gone wrong with the recipie? I will post hydrometer readings when I get the hydrometer, and I will go on to introductions thread too Dan.

many thanks for help so far:h

Sounds like it fermented dry before you xferred to secondary, but, as others have said you need hydrometer readings along the way to know for sure.

I'm fairly new to all this but I'd have to agree with BobF. A majority of the fermenting happens on the front end first 9-15 days but could be less i suppose especially if its too warm, do you know the temp? Was it fermenting before the 24th?

How much sugar did you add?
Did you just mix with water according to can directions?
Without a hydrometer you will never know how it will turn out
What kind of yeast did you use?
Do you have all the chemicals needed?
You have a airlock?....

It sounds like you have an airlock on it. Are there any bubbles coming out of it? If so how fast are the bubbles coming out? If not, how long has it been since you saw a bubble? That can give you a general idea, some times they bubble forever releasing CO2 even though they are done fermenting. The hydrometer is the only way to know for sure.

Latest posts

Back