Fermentation Gusher - Good or Bad?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely looks like mold to me. How much KMETA did you add? Did the airlock run dry? Why was it not topped off fully?

Definitely looks like mold to me. How much KMETA did you add? Did the airlock run dry? Why was it not topped off fully?

1) 1/4 tsp of KMETA added after first rack
2) yes
3) I topped off the carboy with 750 ml of Merlot on 6 Nov 2012. The airlock was topped off with pure vodka

The carboy is stored in my wine cellar room. Always dark and ~ 60 degrees. We were out of town for two weeks. I should have checked the carboys more often, but didn't see how low the airlock got. My bad.

Can I poke through the mold and rack it or is it a dumping candidate?
The wine looks pretty clear, not cloudy. Suggestions??

Thanks,
Bob

PS: My other two carboys airlocks are still good and the carboys are still topped off with no apparent loss of juice.

Has anyone checked out the Brute cans for the liner number? I've heard of other folks using what they call restaurant grade food quality garbage cans and I assumed they were talking about these.

Bob, I hope someone can help you. It's tough to make a decision if you can't figure out for sure what that stuff is. How did your friend know his was harmless?

Pam in cinti

Last edited:
Has anyone checked out the Brute cans for the liner number? I've heard of other folks using what they call restaurant grade food quality garbage cans and I assumed they were talking about these.

Bob, I hope someone can help you. It's tough to make a decision if you can't figure out for sure what that stuff is. How did your friend know his was harmless?

Pam in cinti

Hi Pam,

Re my friend's beer mold, it was rubbery and thick. Some searches said it was a harmless mold and is actually a delicacy that's grown in some African countries and elsewhere. He dumped it, though. Probably a good idea.

I tasted my Carmenere with a wine thief sample, just a micro sip. It tasted like young wine, with the tartness. The aroma smelled like a young wine, too. But, at this point, I think it will water and fertilize some plants outside. I don't want to assume anything on this one!

:b
Bob

Um normally you would add ~ 4-5 grams minimum of KMETA. You are way under on Sulfite if that's all you have added. The mold came on when the airlock went dry and low sulfite. I would try and vacuum siphon it off the top into a secondary container of sorts then dump it. Bulk up the KMETA to normal and then watch it for more growth. And top it off if you haven't!

Um normally you would add ~ 4-5 grams minimum of KMETA. You are way under on Sulfite if that's all you have added. The mold came on when the airlock went dry and low sulfite. I would try and vacuum siphon it off the top into a secondary container of sorts then dump it. Bulk up the KMETA to normal and then watch it for more growth. And top it off if you haven't!

I used 1/4 tsp based on the responses on I got on this thread last year (posts #10 & #11):

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f60/thin-film-my-montepulciano-17669/index2.html

Bob

Guys pretty sure Kmeta comes in diff concentrations. I actually used 1/2 tsp in a gallon then remembered reading here to READ YOUR Kmeta as they differ, and one needs to follow the instructions for what you have. Turns out my stuff said to use 1/4 tsp for 5 gallons. I tasted mine but could detect no off flavors. Tho I'm sure my palate is not trained like most of you guys, I don't feel I ruined mine.

Pam in cinti

Latest posts

Back