Fermentation done?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillK

Reaction score
Got a juice pail of Sauvignon Blanc. Came with yeast but added Red Star Premeir Côt des Blanc. 8 days after pitching yeast it was about 1.010 so I transferred to secondary. Three weeks later I still see some small bubbles coming up to the top and assuming it is still finishing. Hydrometer reading is .992. Is this thing still fermenting three and a half weeks after transferring to secondary or are the rising bubbles just gas being released? Want to rack again, add sulfites and clarify but want to be sure fermentation is complete.
Temp is around 68 degrees.
Thanks for any info.

I'm going to say that it is just degassing, I have seen this too. You could splash rack to help this along, and will be able to sulfite your wine as well.

Don't Splash rack a white, it will introduce more Oxygen then you want in a white wine, either vacuum degas or use a drill mounted degassing whip if you are in a rush. If not in a rush just rack and add sulfites and wait.

What do you deem as “splash racking”? I just splash racked my SB juice bucket batch and didn’t think twice.
When I say splash rack I mean- transferring with the AIO and not using a full racking cane on the receiving vessel. Using the small S shaped tube that allows the wine to travel down the carboy along the glass.
But just like @BillK - my SauvBlanc was LOADED with Co2. And a super low ph. I understand down the road—— but is racking a white this way fresh from fermentation really gonna do any damage?

No one mentioned an AIO, of course racking under vacuum would be a different matter

So I degassed last night using a wine bottle vacuum. Did it for a long time until I was getting the larger bubbles. Tonight I am seeing the same tiny bubbles coming. Have a Sangiovese that I put through MLF the bubbles are about the same. Didn’t add anything to start MLF to this Sauv Blanc.
Attaching an image showing bubbles. Is this still gas coming out of the wine? I wanted to transfer and finally sulfite tonight.

Attachments

• 37D77D15-638E-4CB0-8EB9-6B8C91FB76EF.jpeg
    37D77D15-638E-4CB0-8EB9-6B8C91FB76EF.jpeg
    459.5 KB · Views: 15
I can't say how effective your usage of a wine bottle vaccum was. MLF can start on it's own -- it may be that having one batch with MLF next to others could bleed over. I don't have enough experience in that area to say.

With your reported SG, your regular fermentation is definitely done. If you don't care about MLF in this batch, add the sulfite. I recommend stirring it vigorously, though. If there is trapped CO2, that will expel it.

I’d be willing to bet the farm it’s just co2. My SB is still loaded. But I don’t see the need to get rid of it at all. You can try. Think you get it. But you didn’t. It fakes u out sometimes.
My post wasn’t a statement tho. Was a legit question. I don’t do whites ever. Normally I’m not fearing o2 with my reds as much as others. I’ll funnel transfer a 1 gal jug without concern. And splash rack every time.
But whites I need to ditch that mindset I suppose. My thoughts were since there’s lots of co2- this is offering protection from o2. Is this correct to think that way?

Ok, maybe I should clarify. when I'm talking about 'splashracking', I'm not saying to do it for three days, I do it for a few minutes! I want to get the BULK of the co2 out, I'll let it clear from there. I believe that the remaining co2 will provide the 'blanket'. (-Love the footnote though-)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back