Fermentation after stabilization?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelo80

Junior
Reaction score
So I racked my wine from the primary into a 6 gallon carboy, spg was .997. Used metabisulfite and sorbate, added clearing agent, weird thing is there is bubbling and gas escaping the airlock, any thoughts?

Did you degas before adding the clearing agents? Even if you did, you may not have done it thoroughly enough, and CO2 dissolved in the wine is still being released. I doubt it is still fermenting after adding both k-meta and sorbate.

Yes, I did degass, I supposed if it is still releasing co2 its not going to clear

Yes, I did degass, I supposed if it is still releasing co2 its not going to clear
I don't know about that. I suspect it might take longer, but it would still clear. I'm sure someone more experienced will respond with better info. :)

Sanitize and then fill your hydrometer test jar about 3/4 of the way. Now cover the opening with your hand and shake it like a monkey. When you remove your hand do you hear a noticeable poof of gas escaping? If so, it isn't degased enough and it more than likely isn't. It won't clear as long as there is plenty of CO2 in the solution. Either agitate it out or leave it alone for a couple of months and let it dissapate naturally.

I think the shelf life maybe much longer than many think, PROVIDED you store it properly. Sealed bag, low humidity, nominal temperatures. This article seems to indicate that a shelf life of two years can be expected. https://efsa.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.2903/j.efsa.2014.3792

But I do agree, if it isn't nice and bright white, toss it and get new.

also make sure your sorbate is less than 6 months old.
Just curious what your source for that time frame is? I found this article that says it 3 years, if stored correctly.

"The proposed shelf life of potassium sorbate is at least three years when stored at ambient temperature and in a dry environment in the original closed packaging protected from direct sunlight. This proposal was supported by the analysis of one commercial batch of each form (powder and granule) of potassium sorbate stored for three years at ambient temperature (up to 30 °C) and in a dry environment (up to 65 % relative humidity). After the storage period, no loss of potassium sorbate was observed."

https://efsa.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.2903/j.efsa.2015.4239

I kept a batch in a freezer for several years before it lost its effectiveness.

My sorbate as sold in a double ziplock bag "looks" just like it always has, i.e., like a big, pure white, aspirin. It has also proven to work over the several years I've used it at bottling, etc..
I see no reason humidity is a factor if sealed properly?
Per the above question- I bought one of the plastic crooked whips to degass for my last batch of wine. I use it in my carboy with a cordless drill and I know that it's far more effective than when I was stirring to remove CO2.

Latest posts

Back