Fermentation Advise, leaving town.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a great thread! From the initial problem statement, to various potential solutions to the insightful question on reading the SG, then the “ahaa” moment! Good job.

I am curious why the yeast acted differently this time. The same brand of wine, same equipment, same environment.
Lots of reasons... Is it a full moon? Did you shower with a different brand of soap? Hahaha. Every batch from the manufacturer is different, that's why they put the batch number on the kit. There is no way to know for sure. You have the cap on the PET fermenter and an air lock. You will be fine. That setup really is more of a secondary fermenter any way. Have a good trip.

I have started my wines in the fall all belling away, and some very slow bubbles, had to leave for a week for work, came home and everything was just fine... as long as you have a good air lock on it, don't disturb it, there will be some gas still inside protecting the wine.

I have started my wines in the fall all belling away, and some very slow bubbles, had to leave for a week for work, came home and everything was just fine... as long as you have a good air lock on it, don't disturb it, there will be some gas still inside protecting the wine.

Always good to hear positive news and interpretations. Thank you, I appreciate it. I’ll be home this weekend to check it before I leave for another week. I’m feeling much better about the outcome.

Cheers!

@Gill , no advice here, other than to say good luck it may all be fine. Last year, I left my wine (for a day, I thought) after it just started primary fermentation. Unfortunately, or fortunately an early birth of a grandson meant I didn’t get back for 5 days. Very little cap punching or stirring or attention at all. 15 months in, it tastes pretty good. Wine seems to be forgiving, because I made other mistakes after that...

@BMarNJ
@jvbutter

Agreed, I enjoy it. I’ve learned a lot in general, and a lot from this forum. I too have learned that it can be a bit forgiving. My first batch was nasty, big mistakes. I poured most of it out. A year and a half later I opened the remaining few bottles and it was actually pretty good. My mind was blown. I’ve learned patience is key.

This thing is fun. Cheers!

Never pour it out unless it is really spoiled. Some no-so-good wines actually make good sangria. Or cooking wine.

Agreed, that’s funny, my last batch that I handed out to people (completely young) thought that it would make a really good sangria.

Never pour it out unless it is really spoiled. Some no-so-good wines actually make good sangria. Or cooking wine.
One of the best things said to me is: 'Never throw away juice, there is usually a way to save it'

I'm working with a batch now, aged for 8 months, wanted to bottle and sweeten. I started adding sugar like it was the primary ferment! Slapped myself and took the SG - 1.035 (Yes, I had samples beforehand - lesson learned!) I thought about it, and added 2 packets of Champagne yeast, to eat up the high sugar level. Last time I checked it was 1.015, ferment is now very slow, but I will wait to finish, then dilute the wine a bit with water. It might lower the body, but will try to adjust sugar/alcohol levels being that I used Champagne yeast (18%), and the sugar might still be high. I still consider myself a newbie, I've only been doing this for 9 years!

BTW, also forgot to add sorbate before sweetening, which would have been a disaster, to say the least, and is why I can further the fermentation.. Multiple accidents, 'Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.'

Last edited:
Well, you guys were right! All is well. My SG is 0.092. The nice thing about such a quiet fermentation is that I had little to no lees to deal with.

I did a couple of transfers with my new All In One Wine pump (thanks Steve).

I have to leave again tomorrow for another five days. I totally forgot to add the stabilizers, is that an issue???

I’m assuming I can stabilize then clarify next weekend???

A couple of photos just for fun.

855BF197-05FA-45F8-B575-A988C96D7447.jpeg480AE5A8-E4D0-4BEB-8CD9-64B73B614B80.jpeg

Thank you for the correction!! I’m still trying to get it right. Thank you for letting me know it should be good. I appreciate it.

Latest posts

Back