Ferment until done?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bleedaggie

Reaction score
Sorry for the dumb question. Making a RJS Shiraz kit. Instructions say to rack to secondary at or below 1.020. It’s been bubbling pretty steadily for 9 days now and just now hit 1.020. But it’s still actively fermenting.

Should I let it continue to ferment until it’s as dry as the yeast will go? Or should I go ahead and rack it?

Not to be contrarian but i usually ferment to dry in primary on pretty much everything. I dont have a ton of experience but others do this as well.

Sour grapes is probably right as a best practice but a kit wine especially wont be noticably hurt as long as you actually rack it in a timely matter and arent constantly opening your primary and letting gas escape.

I use a big mouth bubbler for primary preferentially and the lid with airlock might allow the co2 blanket on top to last longer than using the bucket and towel method. YMMV

Rather than just go by numbers I watch the amount of activity. Rack too soon and you end up with a foam fountain, a mess and lost wine. When you can stir it and not create a bunch of foam, then it's probably safe to rack into a carboy. That can be at 1.020 or at 1.000 just depends on that particular batch.

You can wait until it is dry before you rack to a carboy just make sure you snap the lid down and add an airlock to the bucket once it gets down to around 1.010.

Sorry for the dumb question. Making a RJS Shiraz kit. Instructions say to rack to secondary at or below 1.020. It’s been bubbling pretty steadily for 9 days now and just now hit 1.020. But it’s still actively fermenting.

Should I let it continue to ferment until it’s as dry as the yeast will go? Or should I go ahead and rack it?
Not a dumb question... I tend to rack between 1.010 and 0.090 to reduce the likelihood of foaming/overflow.

Latest posts

Back