Ferment Stuck

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandit409

Junior
Reaction score
Ok so I am finally going to ask a question, for as I can remember this will be my first though I have read a lot.

I made a small amount of Wine about 6 years ago, but have forgotten what little I learned then.

Anyway this is where I am now:
Started 5 Gal Grape wine from Great Value 100% Pasturized Juice. SG of juice was 1.064.
6/28/2017 Added 4 lbs sugar. SG now at 1.094
Put pack of Red Star yeast (tolerance up to 15% ABV) and yest nutrient into pint jar. Let sit 12 Hrs. It was rolling good.
Put premixed yeast into carboy. A couple of hours it was rolling great.
7/1/2017 SG at 1.024
7/6/2017 SG at 1.000
These are probably off because of temperature adjustment I did not do. The Hydrometer is calculated at 68 degrees, the temperature of the wine has been between 76-78 degrees.
When it stayed on SG of 1.000 for several days I racked into another Carboy, leaving a small amount in the first carboy.
I top off the second carboy off with fresh grape juice. I noticed it started fermenting slowly again. I then added a small amount of Yeast Nutrient. WOW it started foaming over the top for a few seconds. After fermenting for a few days it has stopped again. SG now at 1.004 with temperature
adjustment SG 1.006. I added a small amount of yeast nutrient again, nothing happened.
I cannot see it clearing in the carboy but I inserted a Wine Thief all the way to the bottom. it showed a band as to where it had settled to.
I really don't know what question to ask.

Should I just leave it setting in the carboy for a couple more weeks?
Is it going to hurt leaving in carboy longer?
If I bottle it with this Sg this high am I going to make a BOMB?

Thanks in advance for any coments.

Rack the wine and wait about three days and measure sg if not changed add sorbate and k-meta if it has changed continue to monitor until sg is the same for three days and then add k-meta and sorbate.
adding the juice at that late measure just started the ferment again. you may have reached the alcohol tolerance of the yeast. at any event adding any nutrient at this time will not benefit our wine.

Thanks for the reply.
I drew off a small amount and put in a test jar I could seeing it clearing from top to bottom, after about 30 hours it was clear all the way to the bottom. I took SG again, with temperature adjustment it is now at 1.002.
With the test jar I could watch it as it cleared from top to bottom but with the carboy I cannot see thru it to tell if it was clearing or not. I am going to rack as you said in two more days.

Latest posts

Back