Ferment stuck for 2 months?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie Parrish

Reaction score
Had a 3 gallon mead I started back In november when SG got to 1.040 I racked into 3 smaller jugs and flavored 2 of them.....the strawberry and blackberry kept going well and fermented to around .995 but the one gallon I left unflavored stopped at 1.028 thanksgiving and christmas came around and I forgot about it....been 2 months now and still at 1.028 is it to late to restart the ferment or pitch new yeast.......im assumimg 1.028 is way to sweet

1.028 is pretty sweet for a traditional mead, though not egregiously so. Did you taste it? It might suit your palate.

Were you using Fermaid or some other kind of yeast nutrient? If not, that may be why the ones with fruit (i.e. nutrients) added kept going while the traditional stalled.

I don't see any harm in pitching more yeast (maybe EC-1118 since that will ferment pretty much anything) as long as the mead hasn't spoiled or oxidized.

As an alternative, you could not restart fermentation, let it clear, and then use the stalled mead to backsweeten the others 2 when the time comes.

Back