Ferment speed

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WineYooper

Reaction score
Having a batch of blackberry finish/ferment so fast I was wondering if there is a way to slow it down or is it possible to change to a different yeast to accomplish this? From what I read in C.J.J. Berry's book a slow ferment is better for taste in wine. The blackberry I just transferred to the secondary was done in the primary in just under 4 days, and I mean down to .990. Could too much yeast nutrient, and energizer influence this as well? I was expecting another day so wasn't taking SG readings and was taken by surprise when I woke and went to stir and found it flat, no action. I used Lalvin EC1118. In the secondary I am seeing very small amounts of gas bubbles and the air lock is not moving at all. I look at the yeast charts I have and there is nothing on these to indicate speed just compatibility. If there is info on this could someone please direct me to it.
The ingredients were 34# blackberries (that's what I had), 11.5# sugar, 8 tsp nutrient, 4 tsp energizer, 4 gals h20, starting SG 1.085. All together I had approximately 8.5 gals in the primary. The ferment temp was about 75 when it was going on its own.

Having a batch of blackberry finish/ferment so fast I was wondering if there is a way to slow it down or is it possible to change to a different yeast to accomplish this? From what I read in C.J.J. Berry's book a slow ferment is better for taste in wine. The blackberry I just transferred to the secondary was done in the primary in just under 4 days, and I mean down to .990. Could too much yeast nutrient, and energizer influence this as well? I was expecting another day so wasn't taking SG readings and was taken by surprise when I woke and went to stir and found it flat, no action. I used Lalvin EC1118. In the secondary I am seeing very small amounts of gas bubbles and the air lock is not moving at all. I look at the yeast charts I have and there is nothing on these to indicate speed just compatibility. If there is info on this could someone please direct me to it.
The ingredients were 34# blackberries (that's what I had), 11.5# sugar, 8 tsp nutrient, 4 tsp energizer, 4 gals h20, starting SG 1.085. All together I had approximately 8.5 gals in the primary. The ferment temp was about 75 when it was going on its own.

IME, 1118 is a speed-demon-sugar-munchin monster. Cote de blanc, V1116 and others haven't fermented nearly as fast for me.

I wouldn't try to throttle yeast by holding back on nutrient. That could cause other problems - whatever yeast you use, you want a primo environment for it to work in.

Yea I agree I like the Cote des Blanc for fruit wines. Next time ferment cooler.

Yeah cote or i am using champagne on my blackberry currently. EC1118 is quick and will go up to 18%. I also like montrachet for reds or dark fruits.

In the winter when I keep it a million degrees in here, I have seen some ferments go from 1.90 to 1.00 in 4 or 5 days. It can happen.

Returned from Midwest Wine earlier and got some tables they had on the Red and Lalvin yeasts for speed, foaming and other characteristics. Will come in handy in the future. Other than using a slightly different yeast the reply about the temperature might make the biggest difference. I thought the cooler temp might be bad for primary ferment but actually in checking it the temp is 71 in my basement. During winter it's about 60 down there. Upstairs when this was going on it was high 70s and mid 80s. Another lesson learned. The good news is I scooped up a Portuguese floor corker at Midwest. Should be trying it out later this week. Yea!!!!!!

Thanks Artic, I had already found these and saved a copy to my wine folder on my computer. The copies I got at Midwest are a little easier for me to compare and interpret.

Thought about it after I posted and was just going to edit when I saw your post. I will try to scan these and clean them up, they are rough copies someone had made, then add to a post for others to use. Will take me a few days to complete due to busy schedule right now.

Always willing to help!!! Its a pleasure to share, what was shared with me!

Latest posts

Back