Ferment on premise...legal in the US?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzo46307

Reaction score
I know our Canadian brethren talk about the FOP's around them...but you never hear about any in the states. I assume if it was legal, someone would be doing it.

Recently a co-workers wife started a "class" at a local farm stand. She's basically renting the equipment and making a kit wine (I don't know which brand, but it's a Pinot Grigio). The person running the "class" is suppose to give her a call when it's time for the next step. She never got the call, and the "teacher" isn't returning her calls...it's been about 4 weeks since the yeast was pitched.

The whole set-up sounded like it was a FOP in disguise, and I think my co-worker said his wife paid a couple of hundred for the class. :< (I obviously replied that I'd teach her for $50 and a bottle of Knob Creek :b)

I'm still waiting to hear back about the rest of the story...it just seems kind of strange.

Peace,
Bob

Bob,

You think the 'teacher' has absconded with all the kits?

it does sound weird.

Allie

Bob,

You think the 'teacher' has absconded with all the kits?

it does sound weird.

Allie

My local supplier offers a class twice a year, it's a 3 hour class going through the basics of kit winemaking (let's face it, just follow the instructions). It's $25 and he gives a $15 gift certificate with the class.

I can see an 8 week class for in depth winemaking, but for a kit that seems a bit extreme.

Hopefully, she didn't get taken for too much.

Peace,
Bob

It is legal in Washington. Each state has its own laws...10th amendment ......I know of 3 FOPs near me. Not counting the hundreds in BC. It is more popular there

The only reason I knew of it was that a forum member on another forum was talking about that place.

Ferment on Premise or a store that will charge you to make your wine at their store and basically do most of the work for you.

Here in NJ ther are a few places where you can make wine from grapes. You must be there and use their wquipment to get around the "laws". Kicker is you must make enough for either a full barrel or a 1/2. Prices are out of site compared to doing it at home. I would rather make many different wines than make one for 55 gallons.

Now we know what FOP is so what is SOB?? ...Wait dont answer that!! My name will come up again??!@##

I know that I'm still at the step "before" novice in wine making, but isn't alot of the fun being able to walk into the room and see the carboys bubbling.
Wasn't it Carly Simon that sang "Anticipation"? :h

Yes, you can own a Ferment on Premise in the US. As Wade says it isn't very popular here though as the prices are very high. In Canada it is popular as commercial wines are so expensive compared to the US due to taxes. I don't know if commercial property is cheaper there. I know what it cost here and it would be a tough go to operate where I live. Your best bet is to find a local brew shop that teaches beginner classes and go from there. Many shops rent certain equipment like corkers and filters that help keep costs down.

All these comments make me even more curious about the situation.

It'll be interesting when I ask him about it on Monday. Hopefully his wife didn't get scammed. The farmstand is 3rd generation, pretty big operation. It looks like they rented a corner out to this couple for a wine shop, hopefully they didn't get hosed as well.

Peace,
Bob

I know that I'm still at the step "before" novice in wine making, but isn't alot of the fun being able to walk into the room and see the carboys bubbling.
Wasn't it Carly Simon that sang "Anticipation"? :h

I have the same "airlock addiction" as well.

I love watching the bubbler. :r

Peace,
Bob

Yes, you can own a Ferment on Premise in the US. As Wade says it isn't very popular here though as the prices are very high. In Canada it is popular as commercial wines are so expensive compared to the US due to taxes. I don't know if commercial property is cheaper there. I know what it cost here and it would be a tough go to operate where I live. Your best bet is to find a local brew shop that teaches beginner classes and go from there. Many shops rent certain equipment like corkers and filters that help keep costs down.

Speaking of using corkers from HB shops. I thought when I just started making wine. Hmm now I can't remember that far back. Well anyway I thought the hand corker I had was great. Well the owner "rented" for $5.00 a Italian floor corker. YEP! that was a LONG time ago. WEll guess what happened.. yes right after I used it on 60 bottles I bought an Italian corker..

...Update

It's definitely a ferment on premise deal. My co-workers wife finally got a hold of the person running the "class". They already transferred the wine to the secondary, and they (co-worker + wife) went over there to do the stabilizing stage. The guy said he'd call them in 2 months when it's ready to bottle.

She was under the impression that she would be doing all the work at the various stages...not happening so far. When they asked the guy, he said they could stop by anytime and he would show her any step of the wine making process. She responded by saying ,"but, that's not my wine".

Half the fun (besides drinking it), is watching the various stages as the wine progresses. "Getting your hands dirty", so to speak.

The cost...$250, and you get 30 (approx) bottles of wine, no equipment or anything.

I told him that she could have spent the money on a compete kit, and she'd be able to re-use the equipment over and over. He agreed. He said she already has plans to convert a room in the basement for wine making.

Peace,
Bob

The cost...$250, and you get 30 (approx) bottles of wine, no equipment or anything.

I told him that she could have spent the money on a compete kit, and she'd be able to re-use the equipment over and over. He agreed. He said she already has plans to convert a room in the basement for wine making.

Peace,
Bob

Thats expensive. The finished 16L-18L kits at an FOP here run $150-$170. The finished 10liter kits about $110- $115 last I checked. We pay more for commercial wine here, so someone using an FOP here would still be saving quite a bit.

You don't do anything but bottle. (legally you are required to pitch the yeast). They don't want you doing anything else though, it would get in the way and slow them down.

It sounds like your co-workers wife payed extra money, but still didn't get the opportunity to do the process herself.

Cheers
Bill

i'm glad fruit wines are cheap. for a 5 gallon batch, we typically pay about $50 for all of the supplies. most of the batches are free (alteast the fruit, not the rest) as we know people with fruit trees or with bigger gardens. they give us fruit, we give them an agreed amount of bottles when it's done. it's a win, win situation :r

Latest posts

Back