Ferment not happening or am I too impatient?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MixItUp

Junior
Reaction score
I made an account yesterday assuming I would use it, and I was right :h

I am using pastuer champagne yeast, which was put in 40 minutes ago, and narry a bubble has risen.

This is my first wine.

Is this normal? At which point should I be concerned that the fermentation isn't happening?

Thank You!

All normal..It can somtimes take more than 24 hours till you see and sometimes hear some action.

Welcome to the forum. As you will learn along the way, patience is your best friend when making wine.

The 3 "P" rules Patience, Patience, patience and welcome to the forum
what are you making and what is your temp ? it should start within 48 hs (not 48 minutes LOL)

and try to keep the primary up off the floor unless radiant heated...keep temps approx 68-75

Basically fermentation starting can take from 12 to 24 hours depending on alot of conditions. It would help if you would post the recipe and the starting SG. We can better help you then.

Think of Little Orphan Annie ---- Tomorrow, Tomorrow It's only a day away.

I can also speak from experience watching it won't help

Welcome to the Forum

AD

Last edited:
Welcome aboard!!

Be sure to keep your temp around 75* otherwise your must will struggle to get started fermenting.

My temperature is 70 F, and I do not have a hydrometer.

I cannot find the recipe off hand, it was for a white wine but I could not help the temptation to add blackberries and kiwi too it. I tasted the juice and was tempted to drink it the way it was, but held off.

It is a one gallon batch with 2.5lbs of sugar added.

I think it's working, I can now smell a working bread yeasty smell in the container. The yeast granules are almost completely dissolved.

Thank You for replies.

Last edited:
I figured as much it could be useful. Those were supposed to be smilys not laughs! uh!

Today I took a look see and measured the specific gravity which was 1160, so it will be sweet which is not what I wanted but variety is the spice of life.

It's bubbling away pretty fast, curiosity got the best of me and stirred it, about 3" of foam came on top.

Yes, stir it for the first several days.
Don't know for sure exactly what wine you are making, but I would question the SG being that high. Are you making jet fuel or wine? :d

If that is a correct reading, the wine definitely will be sweet, because fermentation will stop before that much sugar can be converted by the yeast; the alcohol will eventually kill the yeast. That is OK, if that is what you planned.

Make sure you are reading it correctly, as many hydrometers have three scales - one for brix, one for alcohol %, and one for specific gravity.

To read SG, sanitize hydrometer (everytime!), spin it in wine to get rid of bubbles, and read scale at exact liquid line.

Last edited:
Also, if you are still "bubbling", you are in active fermentation. Your SG will continue to drop. Good Luck!

I don't have time to check now, but the hydrometer also lists "22.5%" as the potential alchohol level...so I'm sure the sg is right.

I don't have time to check now, but the hydrometer also lists "22.5%" as the potential alchohol level...so I'm sure the sg is right.

Yep, that is more than your yeast can take. Take a look at the spec sheet on the yeast, which you used. It will tell you at what alcohol level the yeast will quite.

For sweet wines, this is a fairly common way of getting there. However, most home wine makers I know will ferment to dry, then back sweeten (sweeten with sugar after stabilization) to get the desired sweetness.

Another way to end up with sweet wine is to watch the SG closely. When it gets to a certain point, something high in alcohol, like brandy, is added. It instantly kills the yeast, so whatever sugar still remains is left for sweetness.

Back sweetening is the simplest.

Sounds like you are having fun.
Good luck and let us know how it all turns out for you.

I am curious, so I just read up on the yeast you pitched. It should stop at about 16%. All residual sugar after that will remain.

Latest posts

Back