Fermax Yeast Nutrient

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearpaw8491

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Due to inattention on my part, I found myself with a package of Fermax yeast nutrient. I have never used this type of nutrient before. Dosing instructions indicate to use 1 teaspoon per gallon of (must?). Is this dosage correct for fermentation; should it be split or added completely before pitching the yeast?

Thanks,
John

Thanks Winemaker81, appreciate your input. I've got a second run of muscadine (~6.5 gals) that I'm afraid is about to stick. I didn't add any additional nutrients when I started the batch (my bad) thinking that there would be enough on the press cake. Fermentation has slowed considerably in the last 2 days and the S/G was at 1.044, temp @ 60F this morning when I racked to secondary. I splashed while racking for extra O2. Will check fermentation rate tomorrow and if still sluggish, I may add a half dose of Fermax. Thoughts?
Thanks again and good to see fellow Tar Heel in the mix! :r

Will check fermentation rate tomorrow and if still sluggish, I may add a half dose of Fermax.
Add a full dose of nutrient now. Second run wines lack nutrient as the first run used it up. Always add nutrient to 2nd runs!

There are a lot of winemakers in the Triangle area!

Latest posts

Back