Ferm Bucket

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott

Reaction score
Has anyoneever had a problem with the inside bottom along the outer edge of the fermenation bucket (w/spigot) cracking?The crackingdidn't go all the way through but half thethickness of the plastic,very lucky the whole bottom didn't fall off had some Carmenare in it. The bucket was only 2 years old, did have a brew belt on this time to keep the must @ 70.

Time to go bucketshopping!

<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
Scott,

Personallyhave never had this happen. But I do seem to recall that this has happened in the past to some folks. Some have actually had the bottom fall out. Perhaps a bad batch of buckets?

I would definitely replace it.

If the bucket was made by Ropak, they did have a bad run a few years ago.

I returned three of them this summer that was just starting to show signs of small cracks. They had no problem returning them as LD Carlson told them they would credit them.

tdeyette said:
</span>

Scott,</span>

Personallyhave never had this happen. But I do seem to recall that this has happened in the past to some folks. Some have actually had the bottom fall out. Perhaps a bad batch of buckets?
</span>
I would definitely replace it.</span>

</span>

</span>

I also have heard of this happening.

If it were me, I wouldn't want to try and pick up that bucket if it is filled with must/wine. Six gallons of wine dumped straight on the floor would make a real mess!!!

So not just me then (that is how my luck goes). Will have to look and see who the manufacturer was. Save the spigot and it will now go into retirement.

Thanks for the replies

Yes all true. But I thought it was the bottom having the problem bot by the spigot.

Man, I hate a bad case of "bucket fatigue".
smiley4.gif

Ive had 4 buckets for 6 years now. Its about time I start changing them out and will go with all 10's this time around.

Now that you mention it, I had one do the same thing as well. I don't remember who manufactured it though. I threw it away and got another that was a different brand.

I kept my three bad ones for corkidores to store corks and hoses , actually now that I'm thinking about it I have a whole drawer filled with a boat load of air locks and bungs. I just might do a separate one for those.

Sounds like there is a problem out there, oh well job security for the bucket makers!

Might as well finish knocking out the bottom and use as a tomato plant guard.

Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.

Scott said:
Sounds like there is a problem out there, oh well job security for the bucket makers!

It has been a while since I have seen this. This is how it was around our house when we were young. There were four boys and the only one who got anything new was the oldest and then it was passed down. Pants became shorts, long sleeved shirts became short sleeved and eventually dust rags. I was the second and I found a way around all of this. I got really husky so I could not wear my older brother's hand me downs!

Rocky said:
Scott said:

It has been a while since I have seen this. This is how it was around our house when we were young. There were four boys and the only one who got anything new was the oldest and then it was passed down. Pants became shorts, long sleeved shirts became short sleeved and eventually dust rags. I was the second and I found a way around all of this. I got really husky so I could not wear my older brother's hand me downs!

At least you didn't have older sisters!!
smiley4.gif

I am still a little concerned about this potential problem and I am wondering if there is anything prophylactic that can be done to prevent this. I am thinking of adding a permanent sealant to theunderside of the fermenter where the bottom and the side meets. Anyone see a problem with this? Thanks.

Rocky said:
I am still a little concerned about this potential problem and I am wondering if there is anything prophylactic that can be done to prevent this. I am thinking of adding a permanent sealant to theunderside of the fermenter where the bottom and the side meets. Anyone see a problem with this? Thanks.

If you think it will prevent the bucket from cracking.. think again. Get a new bucket.. cheap insurance..

+1 to what tepe says. While it may help, I don't think it's worth the risk. IMO

Hi Tepe,
I have two of the 7.8 L buckets and a 10 L fermenter. I was just thinking "a stitch in time saves nine" type of thing. I don't see how it could hurt. From what I read on this subject, the cracking takes place at the juncture of the side and bottom. That is probably due to the cycle and cooling time in the moldingprocessand the design itself. Reinforcing this seems to make sense.

Back