RJ Spagnols Favorite RJS Holiday Dessert Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cubluffs

Neophyte
Reaction score
What's your favorite RJS dessert wine that you've made? I'd like to make one this year, leaning towards Vanilla Fig or Black Forest

The Coffee style port was good the last time I made it (though I did not get to try much of it before bottles disappeared/were taken). The Vanilla Fig sounds the most appealing out of the other choices.

I haven't made the vanilla fig, but can tell you that the Black Forest is excellent and a crowd favorite.

It's probably why you posed the question, but it looks like the seasonal kits for this year are available for pre-order at different vendors. Might have to snag a caramel one to do after the red velvet.

I have the Vanilla Fig in bulk aging, started in Oct. 2016....added VSOP brandy and then later added about .200ml of 95% grain alcohol. I haven't tasted it lately so maybe time to check it....it may be a bomb... :)

Two years ago did the Black Forest, last year did the Vanilla Fig.

Both are excellent. I've had them at a couple events, and its usually a 50/50 split on peoples favorites.

This year, myself and two friends are going into together and making BF, VF and the Carmel.

24 splits per kit, will each end up with 24 - 8 of each.

These kits are sooooo much better than I expected. I'm not a port guy, but these are really good.

I know we talked about it in another thread, but I tested both Brandy and Grain, and as a result of the test, always "fortify up" with Grain.

Making the Vanilla Fig and fortifying with Golden Grain to 20% ABV.

Latest posts

Back