favorite blends

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countrygirl

Reaction score
looking for a little feedback/info/opinions on blending.
anyone have any favorites?

the niagra cranberry sounds very nice.
i should have also added, anything specific to avoid:)

I haven't tried any blending myself. However, I have 5 reds right now all aging in carboys........hmmmmm. Me thinks some experimenting might be in order.

:d

Dear Country Girl, I have several blends ageing now as well as several to be blended in Sept. and plans underway for blends for next year.

Your traditional blends can be Cabernet Sauvignon with a Merlot
Sauvignon Blanc with Semillion
Riesling and Gewurztraminer
Take a Pinot Blanc or Chenin Blanc with a Riesling or Gewurztraminer
Syrah and Pinot Noir
Syrah and a Zinfandel
Blend a Syrah with a Cab. Sauv. to create a Shiraz Cabernet
Blend these 3 Cab. Sauv, Cab. Franc. and Merlot you will create a Bordeaux

Some basic fun blends are buying from grocery store 1/2 gallon of pure juice Peach Mango, add it's entire contents to a 3 gallon carboy and fill with a riesling. No other sweetening necessary just add sorbate. Do the same with a cherry with a red greatly adds flavor to a wine. More so if you simmer the water out before blending.

Remember you can't mix a great wine with a bad wine to get 2 good wines but you will get 2 medeocre wines.

Test with small amounts before commiting to see if you like it.

thanks for info, very interesting. i'm learning alot. i was especially surprised about the bordeaux, steve. i did not know that!
i've got a vidal blanc concentrate...anyone ever done one of those?

A red bordeaux is a blend of 2 or more of the "Fab 5", Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot, Petite Verdot and Malbec.

Cab. Sauv. and Merlot play a major role in a bordeaux. The others help support in adding color, body and structure in a bordeaux. They aren't equal amounts in the blend. They may be 60%, 30% and 10%. There are many variations, personal preference.

A white bordeaux could be Semillion,Sauv. Blanc and bits of Muscadelle.

This fall I will have several of these and more in the making. It's hard to wait two years to realize a true potential.

the waiting seems like it will be the hardest part, lol.
but the good thing is i have LOTS of time to read, learn, study!

If you can get the Wine Maker magazine you might be interested in the article called From Orchard to kit .It tells which fruits & wines go best together and the process of doing it .

darlene, is this a recent edition or do i need to look for a back issue? i only have the one with merlot on the front...that's my first on in the mail.

If it's the magic of merlot your talking about it's on page 51 , June - July 2010 issue .

well, you can tell i haven't looked at my magazine very well, lol! thanks, glad it's in the one i have. just showed my dad my kit and fermenting blueberry. it must run in the blood. he made homemade beer in the early 80's...i didn't even remember him doing that in the basement until he reminded me, lol

thanks troy!
i downloaded that first one...what a wealth of info!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back