Fav wines anyone?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boozehag

NZ Artist
Reaction score
Im sitting here enjoying a blackcurrant wine I made and checking out the wine racks i have full in this room Im in. I can see a couple wines I found hideous but generally most of my wines now seem to be the same thing.
I had also been to a party on the weekend where they loved the wine I took, they were really impressed, in fact I dont get why some people think home made wine is gonig to be disgusting....bad experience from the 70s perhaps???
Anyway Im liking of my wines the best -
Blackcurrant
Lime
Citrus blend
Passionfruit
Feijoa
Ginger
Blueberry
Choc Raspberry Port

The ones I dont like
Dandelion (Bugger picking all those flowers for a yuck tasting wine!)
Rhubarb (Never liked the fruit, so why did I make the wine....hmmmm!?!?)

So what are your favs that you have made?

1. Elderberry
2. Riesling

It's really a toss up on which one I like the best.

I had also been to a party on the weekend where they loved the wine I took, they were really impressed, in fact I dont get why some people think home made wine is gonig to be disgusting....bad experience from the 70s perhaps???

I don't think its the 70's experience, I think it was tasting their neighbors old friends wine that didn't know what they were doing. I hear that all the time. Some of my favorites are Gewürztraminer, Peisporter, Rhubarb, Vidal, Vignoles. If I make any that turns out really bad or that I don't like I just give them away to the folks in Pittsburgh when we trade wines (KIDDING) :tz

I have a different favorite each night. :tz

One night it's a red... Another night a white...

Some weekends it's a respberry, a peach or strawberry...

You know what they say - variety is the spice of life.

I don't think its the 70's experience, I think it was tasting their neighbors old friends wine that didn't know what they were doing. I hear that all the time. Some of my favorites are Gewürztraminer, Peisporter, Rhubarb, Vidal, Vignoles. If I make any that turns out really bad or that I don't like I just give them away to the folks in Pittsburgh when we trade wines (KIDDING) :tz

You know I'm wonderin :<

My favorite wine is the one in my glass. :)
Actually, i will say my apfelwein, cause it's the one SWMBO liked.

I have a number that I prefer. The problem with me is that these are the wines I tend to give away the most. This leaves me with a diminished supply of those vintages.

1993 Cabernet (acid and sugar in the grapes were PERFECT that year.
1999 sangiovesse

all of my 2005 and 2008 vintages!

in fact I dont get why some people think home made wine is gonig to be disgusting....bad experience from the 70s perhaps???

I think is is because of the following reasons...

1) trust - Ya just do not know how sanitary the winemaker is

2) faith - ya just do not know the winemaking abilities of this person

3) taste - ya just do not know what this person considers as good wine

I have tasted a bunch of samples people have given me and I always have some level of fear. There have also been times I had to suppress the "gag reflex".

Hahah thats funny, gag reflex! How true though, you do have to think about that sort of thing at times dont you! Regardless if its wine, baking, dinner or whatever, how clean is that person, did they use quality ingredients or scrimp and save etc etc!?!?
Its important to me to use good quality ingredients and always use more rather than less fruit and I over do it with the hygiene...you can never be too careful I think! So the results are if you can get them to try it they come back wanting to actually but it....shame i cant actually sell it! Mind you thats not why I started, I never wanted to sell it, it was about having a hobby with a great end result that I could share with my friends!
Have one obnoxious *** who said in his hoity toity voice "Oh god no I dont drink homemade wine' with a look of disgust on his ugly mug....needless to say never offered him anymore and when they day comes when he asks to have what everyone else is having Ill happy tell him to get lost!!!! Yeehah
My fav wine tonight is the lime, cause its so damn hot here and its the only one i had on ice!

Boozehag, that lime wine sounds very interesting. Care to share your recipe?

Latest posts

Back