faux rose/blush

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve been seeing Rose and Blush wines mentioned everywhere, even here, and it got me thinking I could do something like that.

I have about 9 gallons of second run wine from the pressings of approximately 400 Lbs. of my 2016 Pinot Noir and Cab grapes. It has a light color and subtle but fruity flavor and is slightly acidic.
Then a couple of months ago I started a RJS grand cru Pinot Grigio specifically to blend with some of the 2nd run to make a blush. The kit finished dry and really crisp but once blended 3 parts kit with 1 part of the 2nd run I only had to add 4 Tbs. sugar (to 8 total gallons) to soften the dryness a tiny bit. It’s just slightly off dry so far and pretty bright.

I read a couple of articles where the EU, and France in particular, are up in arms over the governing wine group in Brussels voting to allow the commercial mixing of red and white wine to make Rose an acceptable practice. But it’s my wine, my house and my rules so tough… anyway it’s already tasting nice and I expect to be serving it later this summer.

I’m happy with the color and taste so far, has anyone else tried this, and if so, willing to admit to it?

Mike

Blush1.JPG

Blush2.JPG

I've been known to be a bit finicky with regards to the difference (by definition) between a true Rose' and a manufactured Blush. In the end though it's the smile on the drinkers mug that's important. Mighty fine looking samples you're showing Mike:HB

Made the Sauv Blanc Rose' kit last Summer and it was amazing. I added the entire F-pack upfront and fermented to dry. My house, my rules like you say! :)

I’m happy with the color and taste so far, has anyone else tried this, and if so, willing to admit to it?

Mike

The 1st rule of making Rosè is : You do not talk about Rosè rules.

The 2nd rule of making Rosè is: YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT ROSÈ RULES!

The 3rd rule of making Rosè is: if it's summer, and you've got some Rosè finished, you HAVE to drink it.

Back