WineXpert fast fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corinth

Reaction score
I started a island mist kit and all went well. Temp was 72 and the third day the sg wa 1.040. On the 4th day it went down to .994.

That seems like a fast ferment. There was an 6 hour period on the 4th day in which the temp went up to 79 degrees.This is when the sg. went down to 1.040. I cannot be sure how fast the temp rose during those 6 hours. ( I was in the hospital so when I came home, I was concerned.)

IF is stays at .994 for another day,5th day, should I rack it?

Do you think that brief period of heat made it drop the next day so fast?

corinth

What yeast did you use? In any case, it is very possible for it to ferment in 3-5 days. I had my raspberry batch ferment to dryness in about 4 days at 70*F-72*F using Red Star's Pasteur Red. And sure, you may safely rack into secondary, now that it is 0.994 or below, as no explosive stuff should be forthcoming.

1.040 to .994 in one day IS impressive and at the same time seems a bit unusual,,, to me at least. Typically my RED juice buckets will go steady from @1.080 start to @.992 finish within 5 days. That's with a heater on and juice temp @75-80F. If yours is at .994 steady you'd probably consider it done and proceed accordingly. Taste will tell the tale! Oh BTW,,, just checking the charts,, maybe one of the many daily "quakies" you have there made the yeasties nervous!

Last edited:
wine expert:fast fermentation

If you mean was I watching the temperature during fermentation, I always do so when the kit said between 72 - 75, that is exactly what I was doing until my unfortunate hospital detour.

Corinth

If you mean was I watching the temperature during fermentation, I always do so when the kit said between 72 - 75, that is exactly what I was doing until my unfortunate hospital detour.

Corinth

No, what I mean is that hydrometers are calibrated at a very specific temperature and if you measure something NOT at that temperature, there is a correction factor you need to use. Your SG readings are probably in error by a little bit.

Latest posts

Back