Fast Fermentation questions... Vineco Atmosphere

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harbrook

Reaction score
Fast Fermentation.. Rack to Secondary?

Hi.
I just wanted to run a query through you guys so it doesn't become a concern.
I am currently make a Vineco Atmosphere Amarone Kit.
My OG was 1.100, right at the top of the kits target (1.080-1.100)
They say in the instructions that I should leave the primary fermentation for 9 days and on the 10th day rack to secondary if the SG is 1.020 or below.
I am 6 days in and I have been stirring twice a day as you guys recommended which has of course kept the fermentation going nicely as you said it would.
I wanted to check the SG today as I want to stop stirring a good few days before racking so the sediment can settle.

My SG is already 1.008 after 6 days!, is this ok??? Is this normal?

My fermentation has been 100% temperature controlled in a water bath at 71F (22c) this is the temperature the instructions say is the optimal for the yeast provided (EC-1118)

Should I stop stirring now and wait the full 10 days as instructed and then rack to secondary?
thanks for you help in advance

Last edited:
Always go to the next phase based on your hydrometer. The calendar is simply a guide. (Most of my primary ferments go about a week, so you've nothing to worry about.)

You can rack to secondary now, or wait another day if you'd like. If this was a kit with skins or wine from grapes, I'd definitely go another day, to maximize extraction.

Always go to the next phase based on your hydrometer. The calendar is simply a guide. (Most of my primary ferments go about a week, so you've nothing to worry about.)

You can rack to secondary now, or wait another day if you'd like. If this was a kit with skins or wine from grapes, I'd definitely go another day, to maximize extraction.

It was a 16ltr kit without skins...

I take it the hydrometer can't give a false reading by that much due to the CO2 suspended in the sample?

That's a good point. I've just always given my hydrometer a good spin when put it in the testing tube because I did see a lot of fermentation bubbles, CO2, clinging to the thing. After a couple of events lately I realize that spinning that hydrometer and reading it quickly is very import.

The reason I say that is the other thread on here with report of the SG jumping back up after several days of fermentation ALONG WITH what happened to me this week. As I was testing my blush zinfandel in primary fermentation, by the time I got my testing tube filled with enough wine must, it had already formed 1/4 inch of foam on the surface. Then as I was trying to read it through the foam I could see it rising up a at least .004 to .006 from the bubbles collecting on the hydrometer.

It does happen and it will make you question your eyes and mind.

Should I definitely rack to secondary tomorrow, Do you think its had enough time for initial fermentation. Is it generally regarded as a good idea to get the wine of the gross lees as soon as the wine has reached the initial target SG?

Should I definitely rack to secondary tomorrow, Do you think its had enough time for initial fermentation. Is it generally regarded as a good idea to get the wine of the gross lees as soon as the wine has reached the initial target SG?

I think the main concern is that if it isn't under airlock now, as you approach your final SG, you will be producing less and less CO2 to form a protective layer. If it is under airlock you'll be just fine for a while (week?) but you are correct, nice to get off those gross lees and into a clean carboy, and if the SG has stayed the same for 3 days add your Kmeta that came with the kit (or even better yet pick up where you left off with your instructions that came with the kit).

Latest posts

Back